+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Positioning When the Fish is at Hand

Default Rod Positioning When the Fish is at Hand

Sorry, I didn't know a way to paraphrase the subject I wanted advice on.

Essentially, I've had problems in the past at the point where I've brought the fish in, and now I have to handle it and release it. I'm talking about situations where I either don't have my net, or the fish is too large for the small net I carry.

This weekend I hooked into a 29" carp, and at one point managed to bring it close to shore, but it was too large for me to handle with one hand while keep the other on the rod. Because of my bad juggling skills, it managed to wriggle free and I had to fight the thing for another 45 minutes (I don't care what anyone says, 5 weight rods and large fish are no fun). I finally landed the fish by pushing it onto shore with one hand, taking the hook out, stuck the rod under my arm pit (tip backwards) and picked the fish up with both hands.

It seems to me there's a better way than what I've been doing to handle fish. I've seen pictures of the steelhead guys with the rod balanced across their shoulders, but I've got no idea A: how they managed to get into that position and B: how they are holding the rod there.

Sounds like you handled the situation as best you could. But really a 5wt on a 29" Carp? Get a Gaff!

Al

My standard procedure for big fish that must be handled is to fight the fish with the rod in my right hand. Grab the tippet with my left hand, and put the rod handle under my left arm, tip out in front of me. Then cradle the fish under the belly with my right hand, and remove the fly with pliers with my left hand.
    When the fly is on the edge of the fish's mouth I like to just pull it lose without ever laying a hand on the fish.

jsalkas,

I have always had good luck grabbing the fish by its caudal peduncle (narrow part in front of the tail) with one hand and then laying my rod across my lap or putting it under my arm. Then I either pull the hok out with my hand or a hemostat.

Hope this helps!!

Adam

------------------
    vox clamantis in deserto

Hi

Some advice for landing carp depending on where you fish - my advice is more for stilwater given the right bank....
    Wade a bit deeper and bring the fish closer, as soon as you are able, nudge him onto his side using your foot and the same moment apply pressure with the rod to get the fish into the really shallow water.
    What happens after that I can't help you with - the buzz is too big to remember much afterwards!

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get a chance to experiment with this a lot this summer.

I only wish I had your problem..

If its a keeper, you could try to beach it, if not, I use my natural built in rod holder (and my brother is a Dentist )

ps,... The fish was a keeper, else, I wouldn't have used a net at all.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:d2c62]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:d2c62]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread