+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the perfect fly.

Default the perfect fly.

My wife bought me a beautiful new vise for my upcomming birthday, and when it arrived I couldn't wait to tie somthing on it. The day finally came, and as I unpacked my stainless steel beauty my mind was filled with patterns and materials that were falling into place to form the perfect fly.
    Alas, after much trial and error, I came up with a devious pattern that was sure to catch many fish by suprise. I had made the perfect gum beetle. It was awe inspiring. I could just tell by the way my shiny new vise gripped that size 10 that I was on to somthing big. Sure, I had made terrific looking hare's ears and the occasional flawless adam, but there was somthing about this beetle that was deadly not only to the eye, but to the touch and feel as well.
    The cement was barely dry before I stuffed it into its place of glory within the confines of my flybox. This particular fly got to sit in the "special" row. You know what I'm talking about. That section of your flybox that carries all but your most successful patterns. I immediately grabbed my car keys and drove the 20 miles to a lake that I know to have some nice fish in. I never have much luck there, but I know that today is different. I approach the shore and look deep into the water where I can see alot of underwater plants and algae just high enough to almost touch the top surface. And there they are. The fish have nestled down with their heads on an upward angle waiting for some insect to accidentally fall into their trap. This was the perfect opportunity. I drew my newly made beetle pattern and tied it onto my 3lb tippet. I scanned the algae field looking for the perfect target to slowly drop my fly down in front of. After finally choosing my victim, I pulled some line off my reel, and with talent on loan from Lefty Kreh himself, I began to backcast.
    This is the part of the story where I forgot to check behind me and got my fly caught into a %$#!@#$! pine tree and broke my damn leader trying to pull it out. I was so angry I immediately got in my car and left.

You had to go and get me on the edge of my seat with this story - and then pull it right out from under me! Very sad, and yet somehow funny story. My heart goes out to you, and i hope you try again. I'm guessing you wont go back and retrieve this magic fly?
    -Erik

Harry,
    I darn near fell outta my chair laughing!
    You have now learned an important life lesson, Grasshopper...tie at least two!!
    I have to admit that I tied my "killer black/red bunny strip" on a circle hook, hurried (as you did) to my favorite bass pond. I DID NOT catch a tree...that would be too SIMPLE for an Irishman! NOOOO!...I passed the loop of my pre-looped leader through the loop of my RIO Clouser line, tied the magic fly on, made my cast, had a strike, & when I strip-set the hook, I discovered that I had forgotten to pass the tag end of my leader through the leader loop to secure it. The "up-side" is that I knew my fly worked.
    I feel for ya!..Tie more (at least 2!) & please send us a report.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

You know,,, know for a fact,,, there is no way, ever no way, that you will be able to 'exactly' duplicate that fly. Never happen. Close maybe, but just ain't gonna happen. The moment is lost. Forever lost to you and posterity. Give it up. Go back to your Royal Coachmen and buggers. You have had your chance, your day in the sun, your shot at fame... and you lost. Lost just as the rest of us poor mortals have. Now join our ranks, the ranks of genius that might have been,, coulda have,, mighta made etc. You have arrived. Welcome home...

JC,
    In responding to your reply, I quote Chris Chin..........."YUP!"
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

JC, ... Yup !!

Hey, ... Mike, ... does that mean, ... as a famous (yeah, ... in MY own mind) fly fisher, ... the quote people will remember me for is YUP !!!!

Oh man, ... I gotta start being more careful about what I write

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/travel/quebec06fishin/:3a882]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:3a882]
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:3a882]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:3a882]
    Christopher Chin

HarryC
    Always carry a chain saw in your back pack for just such emergencies. That fly is too important to be left hangin' and cutting down a big tree will relieve your tension headache and make it easier for the next guy that hangs flies in all available trees. Sheesh...buy you books, send you to school and what good does it do?

Ol' Bill

Buddy of mine spent 50 grand, sent his kid to college, all he got was a quarter back.

JC,

Your too funny!

Badda Bing, Badda Boom!!!
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Harry,

Funny and sad at the same time; you really had ME hooked on the build up. I had something similar happen with a new rod that I had just finished many years ago. I attached the leader to the fly line with one of those barbed, push-in eyelets. Hooked a high tree on my first backcast and the eyelet pulled out leaving my only leader high in the tree. Nothing to do but go home.

Just remember it could have been worse. Your vise could have arrived with a missing part or jaws that would close tightly enough to hold your fly. Happy Birthdat, anyway! 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

+ Reply to Thread