+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pa. Fish In

Dry Fly Guy
    If tyflies can make the trip in 2 hrs, I can be there in about 2 1/2.
    Boy it sure would be great to meet some people from FAOL and learn from them in person. Can't commit yet but, Definately Interested!

Jeff

Yep, you're right about the weather last year. The water level went down, water got warm, then it rained and brought flooding conditions. Then it got warm. Yep, thats mother nature alright. Year 2004 was better with fishing good all the way til Aug. Mother nature again. She can play tricks. Ladies and gentlemen; Lets look at what this is, a fish-in to meet members and friends, swap stories, tell lies, compare rods,reels,line--- shall I go on. Take a concensus and find out if the #1 reason for showing up is a)fishing b) meeting friends c)camping in the Pine Creek Gorge. Take it for what it is. Great get-together of FAOL members and friends. Good food, good company, GREAT location under the stars.

As a new member to FAOL count me in for the Pine Creek fish-in, or any where near there. Would love to meet other flyfishers and put faces to names. I have a camp at the mouth of Kettle Creek (about an hour away) and would be there at least two or three days. I have fished Pine Creek and Slate Run. Good water does depend on fickle weather this year.
    Also, Lock Haven, Pa. should come up on most map searches. Ron

[This message has been edited by rgregorchik (edited 17 January 2006).]

Although I hail from south of the Mason/Dixon line I'd be honored to be able to make it up. Doesn't help y'all, but the sooner I know the when and where...you'll have company. Keep us posted - thnx MK

------------------
    Live each day as if it were your last, some day you'll be right!
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Flyingcarp and Ron -

Have either of you considered attending the Fish-In in Roscoe, NY? It's a little further of a drive but IMHO, it'll be well worth the trip. Again, however, the caveat is that we need some assistance from Mother Nature. But if She is in a good mood, that week can be awesome. Just some food for thought.

Similarly, the river conditions during the planned get together on Pine Creek are also Mother Nature dependent. As stated by others, even though 'fishing' is the catalyst, these get togethers are as much about the people.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 18 January 2006).]

Tyeflies, I'm also HOPING to make it to Roscoe this year. Things are tough with a young family. Sooner or later I'll make a fish-in somewhere, And if my plans work out it'll be w/ two young flyfishers.

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

I just returned after shoulder surgery so I may have missed a date change or location change so be understanding.

I live in Tioga County about 2 miles from the canyon itself (Pine Creek) and those June dates for most years are not good times to fish the Pine especially the southern parts located in the Petti Coat Junction and Happy Acres area.

In the future (I am the public relations person for the Tiadaghton Chapter of TU) a one mile section of the northern end of the canyon will be designated as Delayed Harvest if all goes as planned. Then fishing during the summer months should pick up.

Do not take me wrong, there have been years that Pine Creek fished very well through June but they are few and far between. Taking into account the lack of snow cover this year and it could be a dry, slow, and warm fishery come June.

Time we decide for certain what we are going to do about this Fish In. Unfortunate comments may have put damper on somes desire to attend. All I can reply is that last year was certainly a really bad one BUT third week of June I fished that area for two days. Both mornings until temps rose I fished Pine. First day I then went to Little Pine and Next day I fished White Deer. Had fine results all times. This year might be a rough one again. Check BIG DADY RODS post for excellent rational on the fish in. Now consider this. Gene Feerar owner of Happy Acres offers us a huge lodge with 5 seperate bedrooms and seperate beds for 15 or 16. He is offering a reduced rate of $100.00 for all 4 nights per person. A large room in lodge will be great for meetings, tying or just hanging out if we get much rain. Each day we have guys familiar with streams within about a 35 mile radius who will lead groups of anglers to these streams. I cannot believe we cannot find enough cooperative fish to have a good time. I will be up on Erie tribs from tommorrow morning until the 1st. Returning home I will check to see if enough are interested in staying in lodge to fill it up. We are half way there already. If you wish to stay in lodge I will need a check made payable to Happy Acres for $50.00 as deposit. Balance when you get there. Happy Acres offers lots of other accomodations which you will be able to arrange for on your own. Slight discount will be offered if you mention FAOL. If suffucient interest is shown by the 1st I will send all information to LF who has offered to set up a site on the Pa Fish In.In next few days we will determine if it lives or not. I am looking forward to meeting and sharing time with fishermen who to date are only names. Please , those with negative concepts, go fish the Susquehanna or someplace else and allow us to enjoy a good meeting. Sorry for being long winded. Shoot me e-mail at igofish@pa.net if interested. Thanks much

Don't pay any attention to the neigh sayers..
    Fish-Ins are more about putting faces on names, sharing information - be it rods, reels, lines, flies and how to. It is the companionship of being with like-minded people. We've had more than one Fish-In where some folks chose to stay at 'camp' and visit or tie flies and never wet a line.
    Just do it - you'll have a fine time.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Won't be able to make it this year. I also will be in FL trying to slay a Snook on a fly. I will tell everyone yes it is important to have mother nature cooperate a little but there are plenty of trout in the streams in this area. You may have to work a little but most all of the small feeder streams hold wild brookies. This is a great area..

Bill

+ Reply to Thread