+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: broken shoulder; and that's the good news....

Default broken shoulder; and that's the good news....

I finally got a conclusive diagnosis after dislocating my shoulder during a fall while scouting a fishing spot a week ago. The radiologist missed a glenoid fracture (broken shoulder socket) when he read the XRays, leading the ER doc to assume a A/C joint (shoulder) strain. After the arm came out of the socket on Tuesday -again- I followed up with primary care doc, who suspected a torn rotator cuff injury and referred me to the orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon quickly saw the real issue and got me the MRI the ins. co wouldn't do for my M.D. That ruled out torn rotator cuff and put me on a fast track to surgery and recovery. The good news part; my surgeon feels that this type of procedure (a couple of screws to reattach the rim of the socket back to the bone) will mean a much quicker recovery than a rotator cuff operation. I'm hoping to get back to work that much sooner and save some portion of the fishing season. (I had a foot operation and minor shoulder surgery a month ago and was thinking that I had all the issues behind me until this last debacle...) I'm psyched that this surgeon is trying to get me in for the operation tommorrow, as he only saw me Friday and got the MRI ordered for that afternoon. The fact that he does 300-400 shoulder surgeries a year gives me confidence also. He told me not to listen to any horror stories about shoulder surgery, because this one is not a common one- and rotator cuffs are a whole different deal. Think good thoughts for me if you would, and I hope to see you online-and on the water- soon, Jim "the one armed typist"

------------------
    "Knowledge is knowing, wisdom is understanding"

Jim,

Best thoughts for you and a speedy recovery.

Allan

Jim,

thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. All will go well. I broke a fall with my elbow in a motorcycle wreck. I impacted the humorous. The doctor told me they could do nothing for me, not even set, sling, nothing. I was back in operation in 6 weeks. I just live with one arm a little shorter than the other one.

Prayers and best wishes

------------------
    Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

Jim

I have shoulder problems from college footbal. GO SLOW AND LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR
    I was in rehab for months after my injury, for the most part my shoulders are great, I still get one to seperate if I am stupid but the rehab was the key. That was over 30 years ago and my shoulders give me the least amount of pain over my whole body. GO SLOW
    Praying for healing and no pain.

Harold

Backbeach,
    Can empathise - had major work(short of replacement) a year ago on my none casting arm. Far better now, wish I hadn't put it off. Injuries usually never heal "themselves". Don't overdo/and certainly DO the physical therapy. Best wishes sir!
    Mike K.

------------------
    Live each day as if it were your last, some day you'll be right!
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Good God man!... Be *&%$% careful!!!!

nighthawk Guest

Ditto all of th above. Sounds like you got a good doc. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Thanks for the kind words. Believe me, I'm listening to the Doc. When I first fell I had a few layers of clothes covering my view of the dislocation. By the time I pulled on a tree to straighten my arm (not recommended BTW!) and wriggled out of my wading jacket it must have popped back in place. The second time it slid out of the socket was when I reached up to put my arm under my pillow at 6am. It slid out as easy as butter in a skillet until it ground to a halt, then it felt like if I moved another milimeter it would snap- even had the breaking twigs sound effect... Getting out of bed was about a 5 minute exercise of 'micro moves' with my arm sticking straight out. Before I could arrange for a ride to the ER, the muscles spasmed and it lurched back up about 2" and into the socket, which freaked me. Suffice it too say, I'm scared to take it out of the sling until it gets fixed, because if I forget and run my fingers though my hair it might fall out again... I'm going to be a model patient because now I know how precariously it's held in place... I need to get back to work ASAP to retain my position, and the quicker I heal the better chance I have of saving some of this fishing season I've so looked forward to... Thanks Again, Jim

The good news is that they can fix these things! Take it easy.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Your attitude is outstanding. Take care and make sure you don't over-do things...!!

Diane

+ Reply to Thread