+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Freight Costs From Retailers

Default High Freight Costs From Retailers

I LOVE to do business with mail order places, but some are just way out of line with their shipping charges.

Unfortunately, my local shops don't often have what I need and aren't willing to order for me, so as a result I have to buy a lot from the web. But the other day I received a package from a PA retailer, (not an FAOL sponsor I think) and I was charged 800% over cost for the shipping!

I realize many have flat rates for freight based on order amount but, they really need to reconsider that policy when they choose to ship something US mail and when you get it, you can see the cost of the postage was $.63.

Come on now, $5.95 S&H on a $4.00 item that cost you $.63 to ship. I also had another company 20 miles away send me 20 spools of thread via 1st Class Mail and charge me $10.00 freight! Even worse are the companies that charge you based on the items RETAIL value. So an item which cost you $100 and cost them $50, (or less), costs them $3.00 to ship UPS and they want to charge you $20 shipping & handling. Really, I?m not kidding, I?ve seen this from quite a few companies.

The shipping and handling game is a real cash cow for some online retailers and they way they are taxed on this additional revenue needs to be looked at. I work daily with a shipping department and know all to well the actual costs and how they affect my P&L. I don?t use it as a hidden revenue source to make up for low margins or poor management.

Caveat emptor is the old adage but keep an eye on the freight costs from these merchants and avoid the ones who don?t let you calculate freight charges before you click the ?complete purchase? button. They do that for a reason.

Hey Bamboozle,

I depend on mailorder for most of my
    purchases as well. I agree that shipping
    and handling can sometimes be outragious.
    I shop for bargins, and a bargin on
    shipping costs is every bit as attractive
    as a reduction in price on the line item.
    Free shipping promo's always get my
    attention.*G* Sometimes, you really have
    to be creative in your orders to achieve
    a reasonable balance of payments. Warm
    regards, Jim

Let's say you order something and the S&H on it is sort of on the high side ...when it arrives it doesn't fit so you return it...since it is not defective ,etc. should you expect to be reimbursed for the return postage....or for that matter the original S&H ?

ducksterman:

IMHO if the reason for the return is NOT your fault, for example: wrong item sent, item broken, etc.; you should be refunded freight & purchase price, regardless of the cost. That's something the better retailers do like L.L. Bean & Cabela's.

If the reason for the return is your fault, high shipping costs or not, I feel the buyer should be responsible. This is fair to both parties. That's why it miffs me that some rod companies expect you to pay inbound freight and sometimes a handling charge on a WARRANTEE repair. It just ain't fair when it's THEIR fault.

Who do you think is at fault if you order something of a size that you think will fit but it doesn't...I had this happen recently with a Cabela's item....ordered the largest size they had expecting that to easily fit but it ran on the small side so I had to return it....I didn't ask for refund of the postage coming or going but ended up out 20 bucks...maybe I should have asked....makes you not want to order some things via catalog but this was an item I've only seen in their catalog.
    IMO they tend to run a little high on shipping anyway since they charge by the dollar amount.

I'll try not to sound like a commercial, but Little River Outfitters in Townsend TN charges no shipping on mail order/web orders. Nice bunch of guys (I visited there this week) and willing to chat and help.

(JC, if this is too commercial, please delete the post)

Clint
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Why some companies want to sour their image with the customer by charging unfairly for shipping is beyond me. When a retailer is way out of line with their s/h charge, I won't buy from them.

But I do expect to pay more than the actual shipping rate. Afterall, there is additional expense incurred for packaging materials as well as the time to pack and send. But that doesn't mean I want to get ripped off.

More than once I have told a mail order retailer their s/h charge was unjustifiable and I would go elsewhere.

Some sellers, particularly on ebay make their profit on rediculous shipping charges.
    I bought a carrying case for a lap top puter for $.01 cent on ebay....the shipping charges were $17.

Sportsman's Guide...
    One of the worst, good prices, the shipping is outrageous

------------------
    Friends don't let friends drive gas hogs
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

FYI, these guys charge NO S&H:
    [url=http://www.kingfisherflyshop.com/index.cfm:0214a]http://www.kingfisherflyshop.com/index.cfm[/url:0214a]

I've made a couple of purchases from them and have been very happy. 1 small item was missing in the first order. I asked them to send it along in the second order, they did so and the interaction was very pleasant. Will repeat business.

------------------
    Keepeth they back cast out of the freakin' flora.

+ Reply to Thread