+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a Pop-Up Tent Trailer?

Default Should I get a Pop-Up Tent Trailer?

ok, pretend I have up to $3000 to spend. more like $2000 and excellent ebay skills.

I already have all the gear I need to do real wilderness multi-day camping trips... canoe, lightweight tent, stove, etc. And I enjoy taking fishing trips that way.

But my bones are getting old and the warm weather season is a bit short and I more often take trips where I can drive right in and set up stream or lakeside. AND I'M JEALOUS OF THOSE PEOPLE WITH A BIT OF HEAT AND A TABLE AND A PLACE OUT OF THE RAIN TO SIT AND TIE FLIES.

ok, so here's the question...

Should I get a used tent trailer..a pop-up? What are the pros and cons of that kind of camping?

Think fish-ins, multi-day road trips, 5 days in a state park in the Adirondacks in September.. a basecamp for day paddles...stuff like that.

Thanks for any wisdom.

Diane

------------------
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW---What A Ride!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Di, ...

That is #1 on my list.

Had one for a while and like an IDIOT I sold it. Now looking for a new (used) one.

For the same "tonnage" a pop up (and out) have more living space than a camping trailer. ... but it is a bit less insulated (the fabric walled ones). The fridge is smaller so drinks go into an ice chest.

I need to check out the load capacity of the "roof" as in transit, the canoe may be going onto the trailer.

They are lighter too than a regular camping trailer (I think).

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/travel/quebec06fishin/:9a6f7]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:9a6f7]
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:9a6f7]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:9a6f7]
    Christopher Chin

Diane,
    We had a popup trailer for four years and it was wonderful. It is easy to tow, less wind resistance so better towing milage, and easy to park and store. When our girls were young it was much better than a tent, you can get inside out of the weather and relax. Tent trailers and easy to set up and take down, we did it most times in 10 - 15 minutes. When the kids got bigger we moved to a travel trailer 25 ft and we enjoy it alot more. I have been looking for a small cheap popup for myself to take back in the mountains where the roads are rough and I won't have to worry about the way it gets beaten up.
    I think you should get one.

------------------
    Jon from Idaho

Diane -

Forgetting our two coincidental personal experience, I'd have to say that a 'pop-up' is great for 1 or 2 people. Make sure it is mechanically sound, has good plastic, screening, good canvas and is waterproof. They are pretty easy to set up even for one person. It stays warm (heater and thermostat). It has cooking stove(really just a portable propane) that you can use or not. It allows you to relocate easily while on trips. It tows easily without straining the vehicle. Depending on the weight of the camper, it can be towed with a 4 cyl car. On the negative side, you'll probably need a porta-potty and still have to depend on the campgrounds for showering.

I would suggest getting the largest one you can. As far as I'm concerned, the more space the better. I like closets and storage.

STRESS: Be careful with this item on ebay. I've been viewing pop-ups there for a few years. It's not easy to inspect the item prior to bidding because of geographic locations. Then if you travel to see it,it may be a piece of junk. Fix-uppers are touchy. It may not need a lot but it's easy to miss seeing something that'll require a big expense or a lot of time.

Lastly - Set up a camper on high grounds!!! LOL

Here: [url=http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Towable-RVs-Campers_Folding-Camping-Trailers_W0QQfclZ3QQfcoZ1QQfromZR11QQsacatZ50064QQ socmdZListingItemList:05ec7]http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Towable-RVs-Campers_Folding-Camping-Trailers_W0QQfclZ3QQfcoZ1QQfromZR11QQsacatZ50064QQ socmdZListingItemList[/url:05ec7]

Allan

If you are limited on the size of vehicle for towing, pop-ups are the way to go. I see many of them all year round here, even during hunting season. A Buddy or Big Buddy heater will heat most all but the biggest if they aren't equipped so. As for load capacity, I see all sorts of racks for all sorts of gear, canoes are just a small part of the list, so yes, Chris, they can carry them fine.
    A friend who has a rack on his pop-up told me to check with your local dealer for all kinds of addons, when I first looked a couple of years ago.
    Am presently setting up an enclosed, fully insulated cargo hauler for my "new" camping unit, though the Springbar tent is still used by the wife and I, just with one of those blowup beds now.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 01 April 2006).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

We had a pop-up, beds slid out, made by Royal Coachman. Slept 6 nicely. Really. JC and I and the 3 girls (kids at the time). We hauled it all over. When we moved to Montana it went with us - and we spent 3 months in Yellowstone in it.

No problems ever. Well, except for loaning it to a couple of friends from Michigan who
    took it to Yellowstone and had a bear swipe a paw across the canvas and open it up. He paid for replacing the canvas of course. They were in it at the time. Bear didn't make it to be relocated, was a multiple violator.

Lots of great memories from that camper.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Diane,

I just bought a tent camper myself. Ours is 14' long and will sleep 8 comfortably, yet we could tow it with almost anything. It only takes about 5 minutes to set up. I think it's great. I say go for it, definitely.

Jeremy

Like many other things, both have pro's and cons. Consider tow vehicle. Will it handle a travel trailer? If not, a pop-up is your best option. Much better than tenting, but a bit more spartan than a travel trailer. Whatever you buy used, check ALL the systems for functionality. When you're 20 miles from anywhere, it isn't a good time to find out that the water pump needs a gasket, or the furnace doesn't work right. Take it out for a day or so if possible, and put it through it's paces. Decide then if it's limited amenities are enough for you or not. We really enjoyed ours, and with a bit more age on us, we now enjoy the amenities of a travel trailer, but there are places I won't take it that I would have taken the pop-up. Get the best you can afford that will do what you want it to do. Good hunting.

------------------
    Lew
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I inherited my dad's pop up when he decided he was too old and wanted a "normal" one. The pop up I have went to Alaska twice (first time when AlCan was still a dirt road), traveled all around the US, logged over 1000 night (we kept a log), and an absolute delight. Besides repairing the edge of the refrigerator, we've had the best of luck with it.

Go for it!

Not very BEAR resistant as L.F. mentioned above. Personally - I feel more comfortable in a hard sised trailer. Tend to be BEARS wherever I camp.

------------------
    Dennis ~BadBug~

+ Reply to Thread