+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: pirates?

Historicaly speaking, when there was mention of "rum" from those days, it was a generic term for hard liquor

------------------
    "such a day, Rum all out.
    Our Company somewhat sober.
    A damn'd Confusion amongst us!
    Rouges a plotting; great Talk of Separation,
    So I look'd sharp for a prize; such a Day took one
    with a great deal of Liquor on board,
    so kept the Company hot,
    then all Things were well again."

Blackbeard's Log
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

..true pirates of the long rod association are those of gatherings that have a tendency to pilfiring (sp)other's libations in vast quanities, singing odes to aformentioned gawds & such, teetering close to any campfire (enough so as to take on a certain aroma of singed wool)cuddling with any wet dog stupid enough to hang out at said gatherings, stay up until the last ember dies away & then wading any water available on only 1 hours sleep & lieing profusly as to who's fault the days strategies were AND then argue, again, as to what pirates really are .....

------------------
    "..so many fish, so many flies..do I have enough time?"
    ...so many boo rods, so many trout....do I have enough time?...

skeet: dang that pretty much describes me perfectly when I get together with fellow flyfisherman. Especially those who show up in Idaho for the Fish-In. LOL

then again, whats with this one hour sleep bit? try staying up til the campfire is completely out only to discover fish are rising on the river. Usually a few curses are let loose because there isnt enoguh wood to burn through the next day or because there isnt enough liquid refreshment.... so then priorities take over...fish before sleep .

ROFL

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Coach Robb:

The pirates started out after the first Florida Fish-in. There was a small group of us that really worked over the saltwater board and I guess we got called a few names and the pirates have stuck... Somehow at the last fish-in I was given a pirate dew rag I think what they call it, because Saltydancindave has deemed me the original pirate. I hosted the first fish-in in Florida.

To be a Florida pirate you must attend the secret meetings we have. You must be able to train rookies and must be able to out run the rookie. I have had to stop training rookies but Stev trained one a few months back... Search the archives and you will find a lot about this group.

We accept any one into the group that is welling to serve out his term. If you look back you will see that D. Micus was going to be hung from the Skyway Bridge so he could catch a tarpon and a shark under the skyway.
    newbies have to provide the rum for the pirates. WE now have a ship that needs to be filled before the fish-in. (shown in the archives some place)
    When we have these secret meetings we plan our get togethers and we do not fish. We also have been known to tell a tale or two and to pull the legs of some of the users on this web page. Ohiotuber is a pirate in great standing. I think about now about 1/3 of the board has become pirates. Heck we even have pirates in 6 countries most of them lurk more than they post. But they have contacted us in private...

So to shorten this a little come to next years fish-in and you will become a pirate in good standing. You will be honored with being the point fly fisher for the duration of your stay. You are only allowed to be the point fly fisher for one stay, after that you will want to be back with the rest of the non shark bait fly fishers. We fish in water that holds some of the largest sharks in the world. We have a pet 35 foot whale shark that swims by every once in awhile. Been here 35 years or so and never seen him, seen videos of him /could be a her. but never have I laid eyes on him.
    I have seen the 17 foot sharks that swim in our waters. And I have seen 600 lb fish caught under the skyway. So when you come prepare for a big fish but expect nothing.

For some reason the equipment you bring from up north does not call the fish like the equipment we use. I truly think that is why the Dude won the "reel"

So consider yourself a pirate in training, declare it on the salty page and you will get all the training you can handle.

If you ever get down here you must and I mean you must see Saltydancindave's fly boxes. They barely fit in his truck now.

He has a new truck and I think it holds about enough flies to pay for the truck.

Hope this helped a little.

Harold

IN response to the untrained people making fun of the pirates drinking rum. A response team has been dispatched and they are not I repeate not carrying swords. We took the cannons off the ship and they are in the back of the pickups. You will have 2 choices and only two.... The first choice is to fill the rum tanker, and the second is to become a pirate. If you decide you do not like the two choices then powder will be burnt.

See you did not upset us much.

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 22 March 2006).]

Isn't fishigan just east of fishconsin?

jed

harold, as the official pirate archivist, i have to differ. the pirates started before the fla. fish in (though that was likely their first official gathering). as i recall, the term was first used in the now deleted "elitist schmeetist" from fishigan (where is fishigan, by the way?) thread, and referred to some of the saltys hijacking the thread. it also corresponded with more stories about the salt being published on faol by the immortal flats dude and my humble self.

6 entries found for pirate.
    pi?rate
    n.

1. One who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation.
    2. A ship used for this purpose.
    2. One who preys on others; a plunderer.
    3. One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization.
    4. One that operates an unlicensed, illegal television or radio station.

v. pi?rat?ed, pi?rat?ing, pi?rates
    v. tr.

1. To attack and rob (a ship at sea).
    2. To take (something) by piracy.
    3. To make use of or reproduce (another's work) without authorization.

v. intr.

To act as a pirate; practice piracy.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin prta, from Greek peirts, from peirn, to attempt, from peira, trial. See per-3 in Indo-European Roots.]pi?ratic (p-rtk) or pi?rati?cal (--kl) adj.
    pi?rati?cal?ly adv.

From Miriam-Webster's Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin pirata, from Greek peirates, from peiran to attempt -- more at FEAR

ARRRGH!!!! Being from "North of the Border", pirates here were once sanctioned by the Crown, and known as privateers. Well, my eyepatch is on the way, and do-rag given to me by the captain himself. Ear is pierced already, and now in search of silver of the sea. Stripers be warned,there's a new Privateer in Nova Scotia!!!!! FCCH, keep those Pirates in your part of the country, lest a shot be fired 'cross their bow.ARRRRRRR!!!!!!

------------------
    "Fishing is more than a sport.It is a way of thinkingand doing,a way of rewviving the mind and body" Roderick Haig-Brown
    Take a Kid Fishing. HECK, take ME Fishing(and my kids,LOL)

jamie, ...

The found out that we sell beer by the 1,5 liter bottle here and that the corner stores stock beer and wine.

I have this loathing, sinking feeling that they ';; come up for the FishIn and never LEAV .

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/travel/quebec06fishin/:9d7f2]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:9d7f2]
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:9d7f2]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:9d7f2]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread