+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OT: Need Sewing Machine Recommendations

Default OT: Need Sewing Machine Recommendations

Hi folks. Way off topic here. My partner needs sewing machine recommendations and I think many of you are living with some sewing addicts. Figured I'd try to get some advice. Here's what she's looking for:

$400 maximum to spend. She wants an electronic controlled sewing machine...not computerized. Must be sturdy. Perfect buttonholes, can feed flimsy fabrics without snagging, can handle heavier fabrics, too. Has to be able to move the needle's position. Shouldn't walk on table when it sews. And has to have stitching for knits..interlock or something like that, I think. Extremely reliable.

I don't understand half of what I wrote there but she says that's a good description. So, ask your partners, sisters, fathers, friends, sewing teachers... any recommendations?

Thanks for the wisdom.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane,

I don't have a clue about sewing, However, there is a blanket manufacturer where I live. I know for a fact they have just thrown away sewing machines and tables. I do not know if this was due to wiring specs, (220 or possibly 3 phase) but all of that to say if you or your friend is interested, e-mail me and I will give you the phone # and even a contact person.

Rookie

I just spoke with my contact and he is going to check tomorrow to see if any of the machines are for sale. They are of industrial quality and I am sure would do anything your friend would need it to.

[This message has been edited by rookie (edited 26 March 2006).]
    Steve

A Brother machine would be my first choice. Ask not what you can do for your sewing machine, but what can your sewing machine do for you. They have good back up assistance and a good product IMHO. Jonezee

My wife uses a Pfaff and really likes it. It was kind of her dream machine and after years of using a Sears, she finally got a Pfaff.

But, I have no idea why she picked this version. I know as less about sewing and sewing machines than she does about fly fishing, dog training, shooting a longbow, etc. Which means I know nothing about sewing.

Diane - Lee S's wife....most all machine now a days have some computerization...a little is ok....I have a Viking...love it can do heavy and light weight sewing.... but on the upper end of costs...Walmart has some lower end prices on machine and they are ok. The baby locks or surgers are usually more for a good one. Walmart has a baby lock that ok...a little touchy but ok...Another thought...Kenmore (Sears) use to be good, had one for 30 years. There is a sewing store in Coddingtown. (Santa Rosa)that might have some used or reconditioned ones.....or try one near you.....good luck.
    As I returned my bride asks, "Where are they from?" "N.Y." I says. "Oops!" she says, "might want to scratch the Coddingtown part."

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 27 March 2006).]

Thanks, folks! Yeah, I guess we'll scratch out the CA idea for a rebuilt. My partner has started looking seriously at a lower-end Pfaff, based on reviews and price. Looks like people who have them, like them. Me, I can't even thread a needle unless it's got a curve in it and some fur and feathers tied on.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

+ Reply to Thread