+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Camping Receipe

Default Favorite Camping Receipe

In the last couple of days there have been a lot of post about camp cooking. Many good idea's, suggestion's and receipe's.
    So what is your favorite? And, how do you prepare it?
    I know my opening day lunch will be ohiotubers "Sloppy Joe's" in a propane crock-pot.
    This could be better that a Fly Swap 'cause we're talkin' FOOD!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

Jack, ...

Depends on what you mean by recipe.

If you mean our "standard" menu for a day on the river, ... most of you know that drill.

My camping food, when I solo is flat bread 'n jerky. Pretty balnd, ... but packs well.

If you mean my favourite camping food with friends, ... Now you're talkin' ...

That would be a Quebec thing.

It's called a fondue, ... but not like elsewhere that I've found.

You prepare a sort of onion soup broth and let it boil over a fondue pot (or camp stove).

We prepare meat, beef, turkey, caribou, moose and venison. Sliced REALLY thin (about 1/16" thick) or as thin as possible.

With fondue forks, ... you roll up a slice of meat and simmer it in the boiling broth for a couple minutes. We dip the meat in prepared sauces which vary from creamy garlic 'n chives to Hell's fire (red chiles, onions ...) Many stake their families honour on the quality, flavour and Zest of fondue sauces.

Side dishes with this are baked potatoes, caesar salads, vino, garlic bread.

Denis 'n Frank chowing down. - Pool # 23 2002 Donohue/CGI FishIn

The meat is pretty red 'cause it's Snow Goose

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:bb849]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:bb849]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:bb849]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:bb849]
    Christopher Chin

fcch,

Mmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mouth is watering and stomach is growling!

Is it soup Yet?

akalooker
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Aka, ... LoL!!! ...

We probably eat MORE than we catch:
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can308.html:19b89]Food for Thought[/url:19b89]

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:19b89]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:19b89]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:19b89]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:19b89]
    Christopher Chin

I don't camp that often but when I do, it's hard to beat baked beans, franks, french or Italian bread and butter. It may not make YOUR mouth water but after a hard day of trekkin and fishin, you're "dining" in 15 minutes . Obviously this is NOT a menu for a guided shore lunch but factoring in the "ambiance" of the camping moment, it's a five star dinner for me.And I almost forgot, basted eggs: Ya fry up a pound of bacon, take out the bacon and gently slide in as many eggs as you need. After about 2 minutes of frying in the bacon fat, add about 1/2 cup water to the hot grease ( be careful!!) Cover immediately and hold down cover to prevent steam from escaping for about another minute. Uncover and enjoy. The eggs don't look too purdy about now but the taste is outta sight.The steam does remove most of the grease from the eggs but the bacon flavor in IN THERE. The eggs will come out about "over medium". Of course, serve with the bacon. If you eat em fast, there's absolutely no calorie intake. Trust me.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 20 February 2006).]

Mark,
    Beans & franks!!..LOL!!..in the Army, we would barter tryin' to get more beans & franks C-rations!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I like a hearty breakfast of fried walleye cut into small pieces, grits, scrambled eggs, and hot, black coffee. Oh Yeah Babe.

OK, Chris, I've held off through descriptions of your local river, your great dog, your beautiful country, but that fondue thingie finally got to me.

Will you please adopt me and feed me and take me fishing?
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

One of my favorites is...

Grilled cornchip stuffed trout..

a good limit of fresh trout.. gutted (not filet)
    a small bag of frito cornchips (finely chrushed)
    1 small onion finely chopped (red ones are really good in it)
    2 lemons
    tin foil
    butter
    salt and pepper

put the chips in a ziplock bag.. squeeze the juice from 1 of the lemons and add the chopped onion.. mix well

butter the tinfoil and add spices. lay 1 trout on the foil and stuff the cavite with the chip mixture.. roll fish in the foil.. repeat for the rest of them..

add to the grill or a very hot flat rock..
    cook for 10-15 minute on each side (depending on how hot the fire is)

let cool for a minute or 2.. and unwrap and eat... add a little from the other lemon if you want too

Next... The Texas Seahorse..
    8-10 pieces of shrimp (16-21ct... yes the big ones)
    4 strips of raw bacon cut into thirds
    canned sliced Jalapeno pepper
    garlic salt and Parsly
    toothpick

take a piece of bacon and strech it just a bit... lay a piece of shrimp on it .. place a piece of Jala pepper with the shrimp.. and roll the bacon around them both.. slide a toothpick though the bacon,shrimp and pepper... season... place over fire until bacon is done (the way you like to eat it.. careful not to over cook the shrimp

Blog Entries

Ohiotuber, I'll trade you two ham and eggs for one beans with franks. 3? OK, how about I just GIVE you the ham and eggs...? No, the John Wayne bar is NOT up for bidding. To keep with the theme of the post, I wish that I had a box of John Wayne bars to take as fishing rations. I ate some that were over 40 years old and they were still good, no, great!

Ed

[This message has been edited by EdD (edited 19 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread