+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 foot rods?

1. Default 10 foot rods?

Do any of you guys use 10 foot rods?

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

No experience yet w/ one; but I have ordered a Temple Forks 10ft 7wt. Plan on using it for steelhead instead of the 9ft 6wt I'm using now. And since I fly fish off my kayak a lot I waiting to see if the extra length can help me keep my back cast off the water and out of the bushes.

3. Default

Yes I have 2. A 6 and a 7 that I both use for steelhead.

1) Excellent to rollcast with.

2) Good for keeping your drift squared away.

3) Decent rods for distance casting.

[This message has been edited by Enemy_of_Carp (edited 10 April 2005).]

10 ,11,15 ft rods love them drift, and 5wt and 7 wt steelhead rods would not trade them

Love 'em.

Roll cast quite a bit, so that helps. Sage XP in 9 wt. Friend had another maker's in in 6 wt.

High sticking for skating dries. Mending and looping is "easier". Drift control...

If I have a choice, I'll always go to the longest rod I have for the given wt needed.

IMHO, helps give some leverage too when holding onto a bruiser:

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:194d0]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:194d0]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 10 April 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I have two, a 5wt and 7wt, great for mending and controling drift when difting nymphs or larger buggers in seams or shorter distances.

I much prefer a 9ft for for casting longer distances, the 10ft rods will tire me out over a long day.

Regards,
    FK

JC,

We already explained that one... BTW, the picture is misleading as the pool runs from my right to left, but he had finally come out of a hole on the far side and into the back eddy that made this pool so famous among Salmon chasers.

I had already run (almost killing myself in the process) a ways down stream to stop from being spooled (light tippet and BIG salmon).

P.S. What's wrong with letting a fish hang out downstream of the angler ??

P.P.S. I was pretty beat as when Frank took the picture, I was into about the 45 minute mark of the battle. I was leaning into the rod to see if I could bully it into shallower water. At that point I was pretty well ready to let him break off if I couldn't bring him to hand as I wasn't yet sure if he was for release or the BBQ

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:c83ce]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:c83ce]

Christopher Chin

fcch,

Since you asked, letting a fish downstream ups the odds of losing it. Can't explain it scientifically, just know from many experiences that people lose a lot more fish the greater the downstream angle and distance to the fish. Once the fish gets parallel to the bank you are really asking for trouble. When I hook a fish now I try to get perpindicular to it as soon as possible. Land a lot more fish that way.

10 foot rods are really nice for nymphing. I don't like them as much for dries because they tend to be heavier and have slightly slower action, but that is just a personal preference, your experience may vary.

Best,

-John

PS the fish you have on in the picture isn't that far down river, it's when it gets 10 or more yards down that the odds work in the fish's favor.

John,

Thanx, I see what you mean. I guess trying to battle a fish from upstream would do pull out more easily once his head turned.

That's why I'll try, as soon as possible to make sure I know which side of his mouth the hook is set in. Pulling from the same side is usually ok. Pulling across is a no-no.

I use pretty light tippets (about 6-8 lb test) for Salmo salar, so I have no coice than to let 'em run. Usually, they come back "almost" by themselves. If not we do the sprint.

I was exhausted as the fish had already taken almost all the backing off the reel TWICE He had gotten all the way to the rapids (which start in the bend in the river at the top of the photo) and was heading for the next zip code over when he stopped all by himself. He doubled back as I reeled as quickly as possible and then he dove into a hole on the far side.

He was perpendicular to me and I knew he was hooked in the right hinge so I muscled him over. As the photo was snapped, he'd just started to tire and was coasting up in the back eddy.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:f425c]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:f425c]

Christopher Chin

I use a 10' 6wt about 30% of the time in freshwater. I love it for most anything swung downstream and for deeper nymphing. It works especially well for spey casting on bigger rivers or on windy days where you wouldn't throw overhead without a hard-hat. (this is one of the perfect occasions for sinking leaders)

I don't like it for fishing dries upstream or if I am going to be casting long all day. I actually prefer shorter rods in that case.

+ Reply to Thread