+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off Topic-Computer Guru Qestion

Default Off Topic-Computer Guru Qestion

I know you're out there! He'p me! He'p me!

I have a dial-up connection to Internet, and when I want to send pictures by e-mail, it takes forever to load them up to send, and forever for the recipient to download. What's the best way to handle this problem? I know that posters on this BB use a website to run them through. Can you do that with any picture you want to send? What about compressed files? I'm hoping to get literate before I die, but I'm gonna hafta hurry. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

I'm not an airhead, It's solid bone all the way through.

------------------
    Lew
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Lew

You need to reduce the size of your pictures. A dialup is never going to make you happy uploading or downloading files.

If you have digital pics just reduce the size of them to something less than 200k and you should be ok. It will still take a while but if they are just snap shots then it will not mess up the quality too much. If the pictures are high quality then your best bet is to mail them to them on a cd.

Good luck

Harold

You need to reduce the size of your pictures. A dialup is never going to make you happy uploading or downloading files.

Would a high speed hook-up make the difference? How does one "reduce the size" with a digital? Do you mean by manipulating the size on the computer, or manipulating the size that the camera shoots?

Like I said, "bone all the way through".

------------------
    Lew

You can reduce them on both the camera and your computer. Most programs will allow you to resize the picture. If you do so save both sizes, as you are effectively reducing the resolution.

Using a high speed connection will help as it is in effect, high speed. If you are using this as an excuse to upgrade thats up to you, its a personal choice.

Every different program and camera have different ways of doing this, for example with vueprint the resize function is ALT-Z and on my camera its in the main menu under resolution. The best thing you can do is read the help files and the manuals and/or tell us what you are using.

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 18 February 2006).]

Lew, a high speed connection makes sending and receiving pictures very fast. It will also make your entire Internet experience so much better that you'll never go back to dial-up.

If you are getting cable TV now, that's an easy route to hgh speed. If not, check with your ISP or your local phone company to see if they can get DSL service to your home. The latter depends on how far you are from their sending facility.

I use yahoo photo mail for sending pictures,,,Each photo you insert links to a larger version of Yahoo! Photos. That means no big downloads or oversized photos for your friends. [url=http://photomail.mail.yahoo.com/:e7bd6]http://photomail.mail.yahoo.com/[/url:e7bd6] it works great say my dial up friends

Read the manual? Now there's a novel idea. Comes under the heading of "why di'nt I t'inka dat"?

Good suggestions all. I've just about run out of excuses not to hook up to high speed. Guess I'd better take the plunge. I'll also take a look at yahoophotomail. Thanks for your speedy response.

------------------
    Lew

Lew,

My 19 year old daughter was reading this and asked me, "Dad, what's Dial-Up?" Hahahaha!!!

I used to be on Dial-Up and then switched to Cable (High Speed), twice as fast as DSL, and at least 100 times faster than dial-up. No more getting knocked off when the phone rings, ultra slow down loads, and my teen age daughter whinning about not being able to talk on the phone to one of her 5000 new friends when I'm on the computer.

I personally think she used to pick up the phone and knock me off just so I'd get pizzed off and frustrated. Come to think about it, she was the one to suggest "I get high speed on cable" LOL!!!

I leave my digital camera on the smallest mega pixel setting, my sony actually has a setting for email photos. That makes it easy when I know I'm going to be emailing the photos to friends or putting them on line.

Don't take it personally, my daughter thinks I live in the dark ages too!

Now if I could only figure out what an mp3 is, isn't that a character on the Star Wars Movie?

akalooker
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

What akalooker said....except I love mp3....[G]

If your using XP to send photos it automatically asks if you want to make your picture smaller....I guess out of deference to the receipient...

I'd emphasize the point Jo made that unless you save the original size you have degraded the picture forever.

+ Reply to Thread