+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Murphy's Lake-great story!!

Default Murphy's Lake-great story!!

DanBob,

Loved your story on fishing at Murphy's Lake! If there ever was a "Harry and Charlie" story, that would sure fit in! Loved it, keep them coming!!

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Ditto great story . Thanks
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Thanks, folks. Most of it was even true!
    That BLM sign (only embellished a little bit by me) can be found on the *west* side BLM access road into the North Platte river at Pickaroon gap. And Murphy's Lake has another name, but is near Pinedale, Wyo.

I'm trying to write up these stories once a month, and I'm glad that FAOL welcomes them and publishes them, and that people get a chuckle from reading them!

DANBOB

Hey there Danbob,
    Is Murphy's Lake just another name for Soda Lake??
    Seems to me I had a white knuckle driving experience much like yours there about 4 yrs ago. My white Jeep had only three "clean" spots and those were under the wiper blades. And what made it even MORE exciting is that it was my first experience at 4 wheeling.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

<grin>
    Soda Lake had a big problem a couple years back -- low levels from drought and a real bad winter kill. I had heard amazing things about Soda lake too, but the local fly shop advised to skip it and wait a couple years for the fish to recover. Murphy's Lake was a combination of Lower Halfmoon and New Fork lakes. The incredible sign was on the descent to the N. Platte River the day before.
    DANBOB

Danbob;
    Soda Lake was at that time a "Trophy Lake". In any case, when we ( wife and I) finally got there it started to rain but I had "visions" so I stayed just to make the fish laugh. Needless to say, the trip back out was even more interesting than the one in. My jeep was negotiating the "ruts" sideways. The front tires were in the right rut and the rear were in the left rut. Since I had never been it that type of driving condition, I kinda let the 4WD handle it. Approximately two miles took us 3 hours. Looking back at it, t'was fun, at least for me. Wife still gets a chill at the mere mention of Soda Lake.
    I actually planned to revisit there this last trip in October but the fishing was just too good near Jackson so I decided not to stick pins in my eyes.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

+ Reply to Thread