+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guarantees: Which would you want?

Default Guarantees: Which would you want?

The threads about guarantees got me to think about this and I'd like to read what you think. This is specifically about rods.

Forget your age for a moment. Shipping & handling fees apply equally in both circumstances. Which would you rather see manufacturers offer: a)lifetime guaranty, b)25 year guaranty, or c)choice, but 'b' gets a 25% discount off list price?

Now, in your own circumstance and considering your age, would you rather see manufacturers offer: a, b or c?

Personally, I'd opt for 'b' and here's why?
    - Okay, the discount.
    - I'm reasonably careful with my equipment.
    - I'm not concerned about manufacturer defects. In fact, I've never known of any on medium to high end rods.
    - Neither are transferable so chances are, if I were to buy a new rod, either guarantee would outlive my ability to use it.

Now that I'm thinking about guarantees, how about a guarantee buy-back from the manufacturer based on rod age and condition.

Just some thoughts.
    What do you think?

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 31 October 2005).]

Allan

Considering my age 51, I would opt for the discount and the 25 year. I would also like to see the warranty reflect defects only. I do not expect the manafacture to pay for my breaking a rod. I also do not want to pay the price for 2 rods when I purchase one. If that were the case then I would buy 2 rods and store one until I broke the other. If they want to give me the two rods with a 1 or 2 year warranty I would consider that also.
    I do not consider it a warranty if I break the rod, I do consider it a warranty if the rod breaks at a joint or comes apart in some way. I also expect the guides to last the life of the rod unless the rod is used in Saltwater, then I have to decide if it is my fault that the rod was not cleaned enough. A lifetime warranty that I am paying for is not what I want. Fishing the salt water I do not need the great "touch" that the smaller wt rods have. I need to throw a lot of line and be able to handle big fish. My rods get hit with a clouser from time to time and I have never broken a fly rod yet. I feel the price reflects management trying to cover the expected breakage from other than defects. I do not like the practice.
    I feel we as consumers need to take responsibility for what we break. Not pass it on to the manafacture.

I like this topic and I am looking forward to seeing how the rest respond. Thanks

Harold

Allan,
    I would definitely go with "b". I am soon to be 59, & I have broken 2 rods....1 was a Lew's Speed Stik spinning rod...1st use & definitely a defect=was replaced under "defect only" warranty. The 2nd was a St Croix 5 wt that I shut (like an idiot) in the van door...my fault=my loss.
    I like your thought on the pro-rata guarantee. I would like to see price come down & have a more "reasonable" warranty. Right now, it seems that those of us who are careful with our equipment are penalized (price-wise) for those who are not.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Allan,

I would go for "b" for the discount as number one reason. I have broken the tips on 2 rods and both were my fault. Both were just 1" to 1 1/2" of the tips and rather than send them back with $25 to have them repaired/replaced, I just replaced the tips myself and do not notice any difference in the rod action. I have often wondered if people buy the top end fly rods with the lifetime warranties for the warranties or for resale value. How many people keep a rod longer than say 10 years, if that long, before trading or selling it so they can purchase another one. Now I know some people have been fishing with the same rod for 20+ years but I would bet that 80% do not. Just thoughts.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren,
    when I read your post just now, I guess I don't fish the same rods for 20+ years, save one....my "replaced" Lews Speed Stik spinning rod/Zebco Cardinal 4 outfit....the others get "gifted"...most recently was a new custom made Loomis GL3 spinning rod & Daiwa Capricorn reel to a pond owner who gave me "total freedom" to fish his fine pond. Other than that, I will forever keep my Southbend bamboo (until 1st Flanagan Grandson Connor is ready to cherish it)....all others will be given to the grandkids or, if no interest from them, to other kids who can't afford fine gear. I'm like most others....a sucker for new toys!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I'd go for another choice;
    A larger discount with no guarantee(except short term workmanship).
    If I do something lame and break it, I'll take the responsability of paying for the repair.
    Probably cheaper in the long run.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

personally i think the garuntee should be limited to defects in material and workmanship, which can usually be found within a year of owning a rod. after that its usually the anglers fault if it breaks.
    its showing up more in spin/conv rods with people using super braind and overlining the rod. a 1 year garuntee is fine with me.

but i cant see spending big bucks on a rod.

------------------
    --------
    roger
    princess anne, eastern shore of md.
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I find I don't use a lot of things that are 25 or more years old. I still have MANY things that are that old... but they are either stored away or wall decorations. Some companies have already switched to 25 rather than 'life' guarantee. The way you pose the question we would probably all take the discount...only problem is there is no way that kind of discount would be ever offered. Maybe a 25 or less percent discount if NO guarantee were offered as a second choice. Offering it up the way you do regardless of one's age I doubt many, make that any, would choose option 'A'.

I'd go for "no guarantee" with the rod or blank. An optional one offered at the time of purchase might be a better deal. I wouldn't buy it though, prefering to pay my money and take my chances. (in over 60 years of fishing I've broken only two flyrods and in both cases it was because of plain stupidity on my part! I'm still stupid but a little more aware of what I'm doing.

Ol' Bill

Yeah, this is a straw man proposition. No mfg is going to offer a 25% discount along with a 25-year vs. lifetime warranty. Warranty calculations are based on actuarial statistics...just like insurance. Lifetime vs. 25 years would never = 25% savings to the mfg. And, if by some miracle it did, the reason to change business practices is to make MORE profit, not the same profit. So this would just NEVER happen.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

+ Reply to Thread