+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gierach's book

Default Gierach's book

I just picked up John Gierach's latest book, 'Still Life with Brook Trout.' I always enjoy reading his books,however,I'm disappointed with the cover. There is a silhouette of a fisherman but he is not a fly fisherman!
    Unless ther is a story to explain this in the book, I think this got past the editors.

Blog Entries

When I saw the book my first thought was that he has been reading Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I recently finished their novel "Still Life With Crows".
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I can't remember the source for this now -- but the story I got from somewhere was that the Book Cover was a mistake and that Gierach was very, very unhappy about it. The cover will be or is already changed.

Upshot -- no reason to be disappointed, you might have a collector's item.

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 08 April 2005).]

Does anyone hear know how Gierach's last name is pronounced? I've heard it a couple different ways.

Thanks

J

Here is what Mike Clark had to say about this:

"This is a very sore subject for John. That is not the dust jacket that he approved prior to printing. When John saw it, there was no reel at all on the rod. He has already even received an angry letter regarding the error.
    He assured us that this will be corrected and will be an obvious indicator of the Second Printing!"
    Michael D. Clark, Rod Maker

this was cut/paste from Clarks

As far as I am concerned this may be among his best work. His writing has really taken on a zen-like quality, there may not be as many words, but the messages each word conveys is much deeper. Kudos, John

------------------
    "The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
    answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

Here's a link to the offending cover. [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743229940/qid=1113009870/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-5123631-8231854:50bb7]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743229940/qid=1113009870/s r=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-5123631-8231854[/url:50bb7]
    p.s. I checked BAMM and Barnes and Noble and they had the cover "fixed".
    (usual disclaimer)
    (click on the cover for an enlarged view)

[This message has been edited by mcsteff (edited 08 April 2005).]

7. Default

what other works of Gierach's are recommended? i only have Trout Bum.

------------------
    take him fishing

All of them.. Some are a bit better than others, but all are enjoyable reading. Seems like a guy I'd like to fish with sometime. I have an autographed hardback opy of Death, Taxes, And Leaky Waders. Picked it up at an auction a couple of years back. Who knows, might be worth $50 to someone some day.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

I agree with Satchell - All of them are excellent. Great Wintertime or front porch reading.

------------------
    All along this path I tread, my heart betrays my weary head
    With nothing but my love to save, from the cradle to the grave
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Perfectloop,
    I've read most of them and have enjoyed them all. He creates a mood that feels like "virtual" fishing. Sort of like taking the reader along. The latest one with the wrong fisherman on the cover is a signed copy by John. Like someone mentioned on the thread it is a collector's item.

+ Reply to Thread