+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please Read

Default Please Read

Well I guess I am going to stand on my soapbox for a couple of minutes, but I am set on doing this so here goes. As I have gotten to know some of you through your posts and emails I have recognized that health is one of the primary concerns that you have that is non-fishing related. Lately I have seen some ads and TV "infomercials" especially the one with the guy who has the book the FDA doesn't want you to know about, I think his name is Kevin Treadau or something. Please, please, please do not buy this book or try anything in it. I was at the bookstore and looked at it, and became both angry and depressed. I feel that in some way what this man is doing is criminal, he states that he "has the cures" for things such as diabetes and cancer, diseases that strike fear and sadness in the hearts of people. His snake oil tricks are truly dispicable and I beg you not to fall for his gimicks.
    Now I know that the state of the health care system is not great, prices are out of hand, there is a shortage of doctors, hard working men and women go without insurance, I could go on and on. But we have the greatest "knowledge" of any country. The people who discover new treatments and medications are at the top of their game. We have medications and treatments that allow people to live better lives. I don't want this to become a post on healthcare or "cures". But if you have questions and don't feel like you get a good enough explanation in the 5 minutes with you doctor, feel free to email me and I will help you find the information that you need. I will also help you sift through the nonsense that is out there.
    I just don't want people to be taken advantage of, I have seen enough of it.
    Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Thanks Drew, Add in that all the miracle "drugs" you get hammered with in the email.
    Just say NO, or DELETE.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Drew,

Thanks, you are a fine person indeed!

Take care!
    Steve Molcsan
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Yep, he has been in jail numerous times for fraud and he is now banned from infomercials: [url=http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/09/trudeaucoral.htm:16b55]Story[/url:16b55]
    Apparently those without morals or scruples can go far in our society. It's a shame.

------------------
    -Kyle-

I did read some of the book in Question.Then found 1 statement in there that P!$$*d me off and closed it returned it to the Library and REFUSE to ever open it again.Can't remember the statement but Your right it is TRASH and best used instead of a perfectly good catalog in the outhouse.

Yes, I have seen him and recently too. I think the September dated story about his being banned injunction must have been appealed...saw him just a couple of nights ago when I woke up in the middle of the night with the TV still on (a normal condition in our house... it's kind of become a night light!). He of course was talking about how all the big drug companies were trying to keep him off the air because it would cut into their profits if people paid more attention to his book.

There are legitimate "Alternative" venues. We have a large comples here in the Northeast that is advertised on the regular channels and in newspapers.

I don't know if you have heard of it but there is another much older book called "Cancer: The Battle Plan", that a well known rod maker told me about some years ago at a fishing get together in 7 Springs Mountain Resort, Pa. that the show promoter Chuck Furimsky puts on for the guys who tie flies at his shows. I bought the book for a friend who, like Bob, the rod maker, and, the woman author of this book, had been told to 'get their things in order' as there was nothing else that could be done for them. I read some of the book before mailing it off to my friend who never did get a chance to try or consider what the book said.
    This was many years before I was to find out that I myself had a fist sized cancerous tumor in my colon (Op, rad. and Chemo all over now and have been testing clean so far this past year).
    Anyway I remember basically the book was to clean out your body on a diet of carrot and apple juice for 2 weeks and then a tremendous amount of vitamins. I didn't read the whole thing but I do remember it had a list of foods to be avoided, like cheese. It did work for these two people. In the book it explained how the author had contacted every cancer survivor she could and made a study of what they had in common. and that is what she somehow put together what worked for her to rid herself of the disease.

I don't know if this Kevin Treadeau book is along the same lines but the other book never met with any opposition that I know of. It did however, NOT say to not take the regular treatment first.
    The treatments and medicines they have these days are far advanced over what was available even a few years ago.Early detection though is still your best bet.
    When I was taking my weekly chemo treatments we would all be lined up in reclining chairs facing several long windows and as I looked down the line I saw that it was mostly women...maybe 2 or 3 men and 10 or 12 women. They had us lined up so we could look out the windows at the river valley below and watch the birds at several bird feeders while we were being treated.
    I remember asking why there were so many more women than men being treated. The answer was "Women get more regular check-ups then men do."
    SO... everybody! Sign yourself up for the old colon scope and some blood work now! Honest ..the scope is absolutely painless.! You wake up when it's over and ask 'when ya gonna start?'
    I'd be glad to email with anyone facing cancer and treatments... Bob

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 04 November 2005).]

Yeah, ol' Kevin had hosted, as an "interviewer" several infomercials & I guess he got the $$$ signs in his eyes. It's a crying shame, but I bet there will be lives LOST because people put their faith in this con-man!
    I have worked in healthcare (including my hitch in the Army, for about35 of the last 40 years. I remember when (not that long ago) cancer meant sure & quick death.....we have seen on this board that things have changed dramatically.....thanks to the many wonderful health care professionals out there....NOT the Kevin Trudeaus!!
    Drew...I agree...this man, and others like him, does far more damage than some folks who have been incarcerated! It's a damn shame that there are people out there buying this guys' bill of goods.

Mantis.....I hope EVERYBODY listens to you! I lucked out! No physical for 19 years, then got scared (flu in respiratory system as opposed to what I was sure was heart attack) enough to have a complete physical, including colonoscopy. I came out totally healthy (by the Grace of God!)& Bob is right folks....you will feel NOTHING with a colonoscopy. Get those check-ups!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I went 3 years without a checkup, which at my age is a no-no. (no 'tuber it's not 84!)
    I found I was on my way to being diabetic and my blood pressure was a little high. On my Doctor's advice I gave up sugar, stared taking natural vitamins and garlic pills. 11 weeks later my sugar was down 200 points and my blood pressure was lower.
    A side effect was the loss of 13 pounds.
    I don't watch infomercials as like Drew I think they are all inhabited by Snake Oil Salesman with the exception of Ron Poppel(?), He can be entertaining!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I am glad that this post was taken as I meant it, and I am glad that everyone out there seems "with it" concerning their health. If nothing more it put the importance of regular check-ups. One I didn't see is the fun one for men, the old prostate exam, the time bomb that all men are sitting on. Also women and men should be checking for breast and testicular cancer, there are some good "teachers" provided by the American Cancer Society, [url=http://www.cancer.org:8f521]http://www.cancer.org[/url:8f521]
    The sad thing about life is that everyone has to die at sometime (not sad I guess if you have faith and know you are headed for someplace better) and cancer is one of those things. Sometimes I feel that support of family, church, friends can be as helpful as medication. I do believe in the power of self and prayer, there is something mystical about it, and it has been shown that prayer activates a portion of your brain that can help to make you feel better (I am not 100 percent sure which portion), but not alone, there are interventions that must be made.
    Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

+ Reply to Thread