+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service /shmervice

Default Service /shmervice

Just what is it YOU mean by "I want service". Used to be that it meant a saleable, unique commodity the vendor provided perhaps over and above the competition. Such as mail order,delivery, gift wrapping,rod setup after purchase fish cleaning ( not really) etc. Nowadays "service" means ( what I've deduced from posts) you demand the vendor do cartwheels for your entertainment,treat you like a king, accept returns WITHOUT question ,stock everything you might need, remember your name ,answer all your questions, drop everything and RUN to you when you enter the shop,provide free samples and loaners, laugh at all your jokes and share fishin hole secrets from other clients. All the above for FREE.
    To me , while not totally unrealistic, these demands are over the top. Actually the smaller ( cozier) the shop, the more is often demanded/expected of it.
    It so happens that my "local" flyshop is a company operated Orvis store. I go there to buy stuff and not to make friends.They are just the right blend of personal and don't give a damn if I buy or not. If they have what I want, I buy and if not, I don't. I have certain (factoring in their prices) general expectations of them but these are no different than I have for a gas station.
    Maybe Marshall Field should have kept his mouth shut instead of admonishing his salesman " give the lady what she wants" after she returned the third dress.
    In my opinion,as consumers, we should "lighten up" and give these guys ( flyshops) a bit more slack .

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

You have a good point. I recently bought a new reel for saltwater, and the local shop, which by the way, is not a fly shop, but an outdoor shop, had the reel I wanted. But the fly shop 50 miles up the road had the same reel for the same price. They told me that if I would bring my fly line up with me, they would load the new reel with backing, and rig both the backing and the rear of the line with loops so I could change lines easier. This was done without charge, so naturally I went to the fly shop! The local outdoor shop wanted to charge for the rigging. So you can guess where I went! I probably spent more in gas than the backing and rigging were worth, but I got great service, and a lot of great advice. Plus a casting lesson and some tippet material thrown in! Great service in my book! Rob

Chris is correct I also don't expect much but respect.That means when I walk in I don't expect to be ignored while 2 girls talk about their dates last night.I don't expect to be bowed to have my shoulders massagedor my farts spayed with air freshner.I am patient and polite and I expect the same in return. I know that a shop run by one or two people at times they can get busy customers Phone ect. Thats fine. I realize the other guy/gal might be spending more than me.Under the solo operator system I expect the owner to get pulled away.I have seldom not had one not say excusses me just a secound.Thats fine they ARE trying to earn a living.
    If you go into a store expecting NO service you become proud of every detail of service that is given even it is only a "Hi, be right with you."

i dont expect anything, but am just satisfied with a knowlegable person who cares about thier customers. ive been to box stores where the people didnt know a casting rod from a spinning rod, and couldnt help the tourist find something for peir/bridge fishing. ive also been to the small store where it seems like you are inconvienincing (sp) them with the time your purchase takes.
    so finding a place that will help you make the right selection, within your budget is very nice. and it will keep me going back.

------------------
    --------
    roger
    princess anne, eastern shore of md.
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I was recently in Baldwin Bait and Tackle trying to buy a pair of wader boots to fit my very wide feet. The salesperson was quite frank in admitting that the only ones he had that might fit were the brand I had allready said I didn't want. I left without buying much but I know where I can get a straight answer to my questions about products and I'll be back for other things that they do stock. That's what I look for in customer service. At another store that has since gone out of business in this area I was told on two occasions that I was dumb to want the item I had come in looking for instead of what they sold. They might have been right since I was dumb enough to go back after the first time!

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

I think Chris related it it well. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Last year I went into a store looking for a specific brand of bluegill ice jigs I had bought there earlier. They had only a few left in large (walleye) sizes. I asked a salesman if they were going to get any more in. Imediately, he started to try to sell me on another brand.

I listened (I thought rather politely) then told him I had tried those and was looking for the others. He *then* told me I should be using the larger sizes anyway, because I would be catching larger fish. Still trying to be polite, I told him I was just looking for the smaller sizes.

This clown launches into a tirade about his prowess as a fisherman and, "If you don't want to learn anything" and finally gets around to "I catch more fish...."

Here I stopped him, rather adruptly.. my question to him was,

"Buddy, do you have a 40 hour a week job?"

"Yeah, usually more than that.

"Then you aren't even in the hunt."

I then handed him a basket with about $200 worth of stuff in it and said, "When you get some time you can out that back on the shelf."

Sorry, not sure this even fits in this thread but I really needed to tell it.

Thnx for letting me vent..g
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Hey Marco,

Matters little to me what store or
    business I'm using, I expect a certain
    amount of consideration from them. They
    should provide all customers a cordial
    greeting and an offer to help. They should
    be able to answer at least rudamentary
    questions about thier products. If they are
    very busy, a nod or wave or some acknowledgement of my waiting to be served
    is appreciated. Those are just the common
    expectations I have when I go in a store.
    Anything beyond that is noted and may affect
    the frequency with which they get my
    business. Anything less will also affect
    my patronage given a choice. By the same token, I owe them
    a certain amount of courtesey in my dealings
    with them. Most will respond in kind. If
    they don't stock what I was looking for, it
    does not give me the right to berate them.
    Too many customers tend to carry "The
    customer is ALWAYS right" to extremes. When
    you get right down to it, people are just
    people. Pleasantness can turn a long
    tough day into an entirely acceptable
    situation for both parties. Warm regards,
    Jim

For some reason I tend to side with the vendors/shops on this question. For some reason, most consumers figure that when they buy something, it should last forever. The consumer/vendor disputes I notice the most are in the returns of these items in abused or very used condition outside of the warrantee period with the expectation of full satisfaction complete with smile.If the vendor is gullible enough to give in to the demand he is considered to be giving "good" service. On the other hand if he refuses, he is providing "bad" service.
    Maketing 101 includes all of the descriptions of "service", among them are respect,consideration,good inventory,fair pricing, a pleasant shopping environment etc. In my experience almost all vendors provide these. Unfortunately it's their returns policy for which they are most harshly judged.

Mark

------------------

Respect & communication.
    Mad River Outfitters in Columbus, Ohio could write a book on the above. Whether it was me or someone else I observed in the store, all questions are well handled & you never feel "rushed".
    I consider it my responsibility to ask questions regarding warranty, return policy, or other things I'm not clear on. If the folks at the shop are not answering or "curt" or rude, I'm outta there! The way the shop communicates with you initially will generally tell you what you're in for (good or bad) later. Same thing in reverse...a "problem" consumer often can be spotted by their communication style.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Ok, time to separate service from service. In my original post, I meant to specifically isolate service as it refers to store or company policy and NOT treatment of customers by sales staff. By way of example, I don't shop at Menards because they don't accept AMEX, a "service" I require because manage my materials purchases account and air miles with the business card. As a matter of fact I prefer to shop any ANY vendor which accepts that card due to the air miles. But, I understand why some don't (cost) and have no problem with that. I wouldn't make a statement such as " Cabelas sucks" because I was treated rudely by a salesperson. My remedy for that situation, and I practice it religiously, is to let management know RIGHT NOW. I expect "decent" treatment anywhere I shop. If I get treated above or below that expectation, I let management know- phone calls,letters, in-store comment cards etc., naming specific persons. Due to my work, yes I still, I do a lot of business with Home Depot, Lowes etc., and without exaggeration, I've filled out hundreds of comment cards regarding customer service (vast majority favorable).I take the time to make sure that the store manager knows of my concerns good or bad. I also let the individual salesperson know that I will report to the manager good or bad .I think this helps the individual staff realize just what is expected of them in terms of service. I have had experiences where a newer salesperson didn't know where or what it was I was looking for ( madison hanger) and I took both of us to where it should have been, found it and showed him what it was for future reference. On the other hand I've approached a more seasoned clerk in a plumbing department and asked for a anti backflow valve ( I had never seen one) and was told to perhaps call a plumber. I assure you that he and the manager heard of my displeasure.
    Unrealistic expectations usually meet unrealistic results. Someone here said it " service is a two way street". I try to be fair but I too am human and have probably been called a "dork" upon leaving a store but "c'est la vie".

Mark

------------------

+ Reply to Thread