+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need input on Sage XP

Default Need input on Sage XP

I have finally saved enough pennies to purchase my dream - a Sage XP in 4 weight and 8.6" long. I am having it built for me by a very good friend who does outstanding work. While I wait I thought I would ask all you Sage owners how you like the XP rods and will this particular one I am having built cast weighted nymphs & streamers without too much trouble? This will be my first fast action rod. The ones I presently use are medium fast action and I have to constantly remind myself to slow down my cast when I start having problems and then they cast like a dream. Several people have told me that the fast action will suit my casting style (such as it is). I have also found out that I like the action of the 4 weight rods over larger ones when fighting fish. I will appreciate your input on the Sage XP. Pros and cons
    Thanks

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Oh dear, Warren the rod you are having built is a fast action, dry-fly rod. It will cast nice tight loops...which means you will have problems with streamers especially. You need a medium or progressive action rod so the flies won't tangle in the line. It can be done with the rod, but you will have to change your casting stroke to get BIG open loops instead of the tight loops.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Warren, ...

LF has it right on the head.

For my fishing, I use almost all XP's from 4wt to 9wt.

They 9and most Fast Action rods) are for tight loops. I don't chuck 'n duck much as weighted flies are illegal on my home waters. That said, ... I do cast BIG flies with the appropriate weight of rod.

IMHO, ... if you slow down your stoke to get things on track, ... a fast rod might cross you up a bit on weighted streamers.

Don't get me wrong, ... you will probably like very much an XP. Unweighted streamers and smaller weighted nymphs might do well.

my 0.02$

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:e553d]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:e553d]
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

On this note. What would be your recommendations on a sage model that "would" be preferred to cast those large streamers at long distance?

Smer, ...

Sorry, ... the ONLY Sages I know are the XP's.

Tried an SP a few years ago, ... but not long enough to really know what it can do.

Any ideas y'all ??

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:ddda3]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:ddda3]
    Christopher Chin

I have a Sage VPS light 8' 6" 3 weight built for me by Bob Meiser that is a medium action rod. I use it for dries, and small weighted nymphs. You can't chuck a rock with it, but it handles weighted size 10 - 16 nymphs just fine. I don't fish streamers on it, but I do wets, (size 8 - 14) I imagine it would be fine.

I don't know what kind of distance you are talking about, but with a 3 weight around 60 feet or so is a easy distance. A 4 weight would be about 70 or so I guess.

------------------
    - rriver

[This message has been edited by rriver (edited 23 September 2005).]

I think the rod you are having built will be fine. I wonder why not get a 9 foot, but whatever floats your boat. It's a good and versitile rod that many consider to be their go to, all arounder: that's a GLX for my style of fishing. The XP is light in hand and powerful and since you already committed to buying it what's the difference what we think? I fished with one a little bit the other day, it was a 5 weight and I was fishing nymphs and dries and it was very nice.

Thank you fcch for your input and e-mails. Thank you LF also for your input. Benjo-I value any input from those on this board and that is why I asked for it. There is a lot of experience on this board and even though I have already committed to buying this rod, I still wanted input from those who have used one or had one. From what fcch has told me, I feel this rod will work just fine for me. I just wanted to hear what others had to say and their pros and cons. Thanks to all.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread