+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off topic- A reminder to motorists

I do lot of night driving, and what I fear most is the early morning cyclists/joggers, that think that they can pedal/run around in the early morning darkness, with no safety lighting.

Really hard to see a cyclist/jogger in navy blue sweat pants and sweat shirt in the dark. Hard enough to see the darn deer!
    In my area there are very few street lights, and hardly any sidewalks. So everyone uses the streets for their exercise track. Maybe communities should setup bike/running trails.

Be visible at all hours, be safe, remember...

4,000 pound car traveling at 30 mph, always will win, against a 180 person that is cyclist or jogger.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 09 September 2005).]

I try to see both sides of any picture and do what is best for ALL concerned. Yes Allan, cyclist do get a whole lane. They do have the right of way over a motorized vehicle at all times.
    I raised both my daughters on bikes and I purchased the blaze orange hunting vests for each of us to wear when biking. In the country we could hear semi trucks gearing down for a mile before they got to us. VISIBILITY is a requirement that is too often forgotten. I almost hit one the other night because he was dressed in dark colors. Luckily his Nikes had reflective tape on them. Put reflective tape on the front and back of your bike. Don't take chances! Use common sense!(Something that seems to be rare nowadays).
    Watch out for the other guy whether you are on a bike or in a car or truck.
    Okie, hope you get better quick! Keep ice on the affected area, that forces the body to increase circulation in that area and reduces swelling. Slow repetitive repetitions of approved rehabilitative exercises with a gradual increase in the range of motion is the norm here. Don't hurry it and give all the soft tissue time to heal.

Let's all be safe out there and be kind to the other guy!

Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

After a year and a half in this city,I'd like to see them banned altogether in cities,Seeing a cyclist,Completely ignoreing the red light that YOU are stopped at and coming mear inches from becoming road pizza, Is one reason.

The major gripe I have is,Why when there is a perfectly good useable sidewalk right there and NOone is useing it......Why then must every idiot on a bike, Ride right down the middle of the street..????...are they just stupid????...or, Is everyone soupposed to just stop for all these morons......I used to live in a hick town ...and never seen such stupidity as I have here....As Allan says, They have their place and time to be allowed...such as parks and back roads.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Blog Entries

I am tired (sorry about the pun) of seeing people on bikes ignoring all of the traffic laws locally. There really ARE some streets where the traffic is too fast and heavy for bikes to be a viable option. Locally there are a lot of hills. I can't tell you the joy of being stuck on a 2-lane road behind a bike while a couple of dozen cars behind think that I am being an unfathomable slowpoke because they can't see the guy on the bike doing 5 MPH.
    As far as the bike ALWAYS having the right of way and having the whole lane, I think that those are matters of state and local law. The laws in Texas may say that, but in Tennessee you can get ticketed for obstructing traffic regardless of what vehicle you are driving. That applies to cars, trucks, tractors, and bicycles. Bikes have no special rights on the road and are required to obey all traffic laws. I am occasisionally amused to see a cyclist getting a ticket for passing on the right side of the road, etc...
    It all boils down to people being responsible and polite. One doesn't (or at least shouldn't) get special priviledges on public roads because of the vehicle that one drives, be it bike or beemer (or Chevy pickup truck...).

Happened yesterday: I was driving on the state route that I mentioned in previous post. It is 1 lane each way, the speed limit is 55 mph and shoulder is about 4-1/2 feet wide. Going into a curve I see 3 idiots walking abreast on the shoulder on my side. The idiot on the left was overlapping into the car lane and there was on-coming traffic from opposite side.

Talk about a recipe for disaster. Sorry, but pedestrians(not emergency walks) and cyclists should not have the same rights as vehicles. Their rights end when they ignor reasonable behavior, become a danger to others and to themselves. There are places and roads where bicycling is great. Cyclists can have at it without the probability of endangering anyone else. However, there are places where bicycles should not be permitted. You want to be PC and say they have every right to be there? Okay, but don't scream and yell that your friend had every right to be on route(#) when he got creamed. You'll be dead right and he'll just be dead.

Allan

Hey Folks,

Obviously the laws vary from state to
    state and by community. Often times I will
    see bikers pull onto the shoulder to let the
    traffic clear without impeding it. Many
    bikers are very considerate of drivers.
    Probably indicitive of someone with good
    common sense. I call it the "Might has
    right" rule. Not much of a contest between
    a 180 pound biker and a 98 pound lady in an
    SUV. The Schwin isn't gonna fare as well as
    the SUV. Common sense. Obviously the lady
    would not hit the biker intentionally.
    The car ahead hides the bike from her view
    until the last second when he swerves to
    avoid it, and the poor lady (insert gent,
    teen, or whatever suits ya) is involved in
    an intense conversation with her friend on
    the phone while balancing a hot expresso on
    her lap. There are those among us that have
    a tough enough time making the trip from
    home to work and return without making
    contact with other vehicles. Higly visible
    ones. Big too! I for one would NOT put my
    butt in harms way in a contest I could not
    win until after the fact in a court of my
    peers. I am alergic to pain! Warm regards,
    Jim

EdD I hate to see other cyclists violate the laws also. They should (and occasionaly do) get tickets.

Allan If cyclists and motorists can see each other as equals we would all get along better. Referring to someone as an idiot because they are exercising their rights is not helpful to the debate. You have made it clear that you feel that the roads are for motor traffic and that cyclists and pedestrians do not have equal rights. The LAW says differently for most areas of the country. You should run for office and change the laws in you area if the majority will support that idea. Until then please respect us idiots on bicycles.

------------------
    Chuck Hitt

Blog Entries

I hope nobody thinks that I am angry with people on bikes or on foot. I am not. I am concerned. I really don't want to run over any of them, or anybody else. I agree that bicycles, pedestrians, motorcylces, etc... have the same basic rights to use public roads as my S-10, governed by certain laws and with some areas excepted (e.g. interstates). But if they have the same rights, then they also have responsibilities, such as obeying the traffic laws. In Tennessee, that includes the requirement to be able to travel at a speed of t least within 10 mph of the posted speed limit. There are some cyclists who can maintain that speed over most of our roads. They are welcomed to share those roads with me. Most of those cyclists are "professional" enough to also have generous reflectors on the bikes so that we can see them more easily. Others cannot keep up with the speed limit and would be well advised to avoid certain streets at certain times, IMHO.
    None of this has improved my rotten backcast, however. And my rotten backcast means that there are certain streams that I should avoid... <sigh>
    On the plus side, I am about to set up a casting lesson for a nephew and myself. I can hardly wait to reduce the poor instructor to tears.
    Warm regards and lousy casting,
    Ed

check,

The reality is that a 3000 to 4000 pound car traveling at 55mph and a pedestrian or cyclist weighing 200 pounds are not equal. Drivers must take and pass tests. Cars must pass annual(sometimes bi-annual) inspections that include rear lights, brake lights, etc. What requirements are there for bicycles? Are cyclist required to have lights on the bikes? No. Are they required to wear reflective clothing? No. Gee, I'll bet that more cyclists are killed or injured than hunters, yet hunters must conform with certain clothing laws! How often do you see bicycles going the wrong way compared to cars? How about bikes vearing into or across traffic or across two way lanes? Cyclists break all sorts of rules and expect vehicles to yield, come to a screaching halt, or just don't care at all.

That 'idiot' I refered to was just that. He was putting himself in jeopardy without any concern for his well-being or the danger his action posed to vehicular traffic. You don't like my use of that word? Okay, what would you call a person who is walking 3 abreast, his back to traffic, and has positioned himself on the far left of the group and overlaps the shoulder line. If a motorist can get a ticket for 'reckless driving', then this person can get one for 'reckless walking'. Remember, I said that that road has had numerous vehicular accidents and several deaths.

Paraphrasing, and I don't know who to credit for it,
    'All vehicles are created equal but some vehicles are more equal than others'.

Allan

10. Default

Theres' always a$$0les on the road these days...... it's just that a higher percentage are on bicycles now 'cos of the fuel crisis/keeping fit/just stole bicycle/love to dress in lycra/just wanna cause problems, brigade!!!!

Here in the UK , we get points penalised from our drivers' license for breaking the speed limit.... howabouts, we get these reinstated for every a$$h0le we 'nudge' and take outa circulation for awhiles???

------------------
    "My fishing is no longer an obsession, an addiction, or a mania; it's much more than that!
    " - Dave Micus

+ Reply to Thread