+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailing lists

Default Mailing lists

I just rec'd a "complimentary" subscription from Bassmaster and when I contacted them to cancel it, I was told that Bass Pro Shop gave them my address, so I cancelled my account with them as I do not support pro bass fishing. I wonder how prevalent this is in relation to where I go on the 'net?

At FAOL we do not rent, sell, loan, trade or let anyone or any company use our email lists. We do not keep a mailing list.

There are others who do, and make a good deal of money by selling them.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

i subscribe to some hunting magzines and during the election year i was innundated with requests from the republican national committee for donations--even received an 'autographed' picture of george w. bush. the irony is i come from a long line of democratic politicians and union leaders.

Blog Entries

LadyFisher, I take that as a sign of a thouroughly decent website. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy this place so much. Thanks,
    Ed

Thanks for the reply Ladyfish, I really think that shows a lot of integrity on your part! Thanks for having a great place to come to!

LadyFisher: thats just one of the many reasons this is the best FF site on the web.My utmost admiration and respect for that attitude towards privacy and integrity.

Micus: Me and the wife recieved the same thing we made a flyer requesting financial aid for our grass roots campain of VOTE NONE OF THE ABOVE put it in the preadressed,postage paid envelope that THEY sent and mailed it back,took 5 tries,Never got another request after that.

teasles

I gotta get me a brochure like that.

Telemarketers are a pet peeve of mine. Several strategies have met with amusement if not sucess at deterring them.

1) "I am in hte market for your goods/services but first let tell you about what I have to sell you... (insert whatever you would like to unload here)

2) "Hold on for a bit .................................................. .................................................. .." (15 minutes later pick the phone back up, if the telemarketer is still there laugh and hang up)

3)"Please quit feeding my cat all those mice. She is allergic and it gives her horrible gas (or whatever you feel moved to claim) (keep going on and on. Most telemarketers will give up and hang up on YOU)

------------------
    Chuck Hitt

Blog Entries

As to telemarketers , I pretend interest in their product say a few uh huh s and I say things to keep them on the line like , yes, interesting , tell me more . When they seem to be nearing the end of their spiel I then drop the phone gently on the countertop so it makes a thump I pick it up and I say sorry the doorbell startled me , excuse me someones at the door I'll be right back . I give it a couple of minutes pick up the phone and ask them a couple of questions about what they are selling. . They are almost always reading from a script and usually havent a clue about the product so they restart from the beginning of their script . Finally they will figure out that I am deliberatly wasting their time and hang up .
    I actually had one woman tell me I Wasn't being very nice to purposly waste her time like that . I suggested that if she believed that she was in the wrong job and should quit wasting my time and that of everyone else she phones . hah ! My record before the dufus finally clued in was 4 repeats . If they can waste my time , I can certainly waste theirs .

Jerry Sienfeld said ="I tell the guy that he has called in the middle of dinner .Give me your home phone number so I can call you back. " they never do .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Missouri has the "Missouri No-Call List" available from our state to any telephone solicitor upon request. If they don't heed the list, they pay fines if reported and found guilty of calling those on this list.
    Works great and I always ask any who call me if they know about the list and if so, what their company's name is. Then fill in a state-provided 3X5 card and mail it to the capitol for further action.
    We're still working on mailing lists and spam.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I'm on the federal no call list.Do you realize the silence when they are informed they violated federal law and it is a $50,000.00 fine.It gets REEEEEEAL quiet on the phone followed by a meek apology and dial tone.
    But the politicians and their mail.They have to pay for every envelope that they recieve back empty or full.(postage guarenteed things)So junk mail gets The Note as it is refered to around here.
    Normally in small print at the bottom is a message that states please DO NOT send anymore correspondance to this address name address city state zip ect. (still waiting for the first donation from any political party) HAR HAR HAR hehehehehe chuckle chuckle

+ Reply to Thread