+ Reply to Thread

Thread: moral conundrum

Default moral conundrum

My wife and I went out scouting fishing areas last Sunday. There is an area with a very unique history and a artificial only catch and release area. Between the people chumming with bread and the idiots using power bait and then snagging the resulting feeding frenzy. I left depressed and mad, but didn't do anything. The next day I called the DNR. The warden said it's better to let them handle it as people have gotten less civil, more confrontational, and sometimes violent. I stiil feel like I should have done something at the time. What is the correct action?

I think you did the right thing. Common courtesy is fast becoming a thing of the past. If they were using the techniques you described they might have been less than receptive to your interference, no matter how good your intentions. Are the regulations clearly posted? Hopefully they will be spoken to by the local authorities and made aware of their negative impact.

Coach,

Sorry you had to run into that ...

I have lots of problems here as the regs are different on a salmon river in Quebec than elsewhere on "open" waters.

I like to use Chris' approach. A polite introduction on my part and a gentle reminder that the regs are different on that stretch of water is quite often all that's needed.

Note: be ready to beat a hasty and strategic retreat if the "offenders" show ANY sign of agression etc. There are some real nut cases out there.

The cell phone trick works well too (in my case it's the 2-way radio with the warden's office.

If all else fails, ... PHOTOS! activities and license plates. Be warned though, ... real problem folks don't take kindly to being photographed.

This is a PUBLIC resource, ... so illegal activities is the same as STEALING!! I will and have (quite often) called the authorities. On problem situations its the wardens, the wildlife branch, provincial police as well as the Mounties (as its a Salmon river, ... the feds get a call).

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:85dd9]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:85dd9]
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

All good advice , I can only add that it is a good idea to always have a copy of the current fishing regs on hand . Some folks need to see it printed in black and white . It also helps to check to make doubly sure You have the correct info before forging ahead , limits and things change from year to year .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Gnu Bee Flyer,

Good advice, ... the regs have a weird way of changing without asking me

I have them in French and English Last time I came up to a fellow using spinning gear on a salmon river, ... he tried to pretend he couldn't speak french.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:8145d]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:8145d]
    Christopher Chin

I agree with the game warden. Let them handle it.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

nighthawk Guest

Yep, let DNR handle it but be persistant. follow up with phone calls and emails.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Air Cavalry all the way! When a voice cries out in distress, we will be there, no matter what the cost.

on several occasions i have informed people the fish they were keeping were american shad and hickory shad, a protected species here in md. they claimed ignorance, one guy said it was bluefish. well blues have teeth!, shad dont. the dnr catch a poacher is now on my cell phone speed dial
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I like the poacher hotline idea.Gotta do that.

+ Reply to Thread