+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices made the differance

Mir, ...

Same price here in the Sagueany region of Quebec. ... Only problem is that I have to drive close to a hundred miles per day just to get out and back to the office

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:f8be5]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:f8be5]
    Christopher Chin

It still amazes me that the price for a barrel of oil has actually dropped the last few days and the price of gouging... I mean gas continues to go up. They even said in today's paper here in Little Rock that a few of the refineries in the Gulf are actually up and running...maybe not at full capacity, but running. I filled up yesterday at $2.73 here in Arkansas. Today that same station was at 2.89. The one next to it was $2.73 yesterday and $2.99 today. There are other places near me that have regular unleaded for $3.09. I have seen it (today) as low as $2.75 and as high as $3.09. This is a city of about 15,000. The same company about 2 miles apart charging as much as a 20 cent difference per gallon. I hope the SOB's all choke on their own products.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

I don't know about the prices, but I have been given the use of a boat for the weekend. Trouble is most of the stations in town are out of gas already! At any price!
    Bill

I just filled my pickup tank to get ready for a family camping trip---81 dollars and I put seven dollars in my 1200 Sportster tank. Although I do log a lot of miles on my motorcycle, I'll be riding it a whole lot more in the future.

I have a full inventory of travel fly rods and the Sporty does a good job on rough backroads. My truck will just have to sit until it's time to pull the camper and boat.

I remember once doing the calulations about buying a used 67 Vette as my commuter car. It wasn't a classic then, just a car I coveted. My calculations included the remote possibility that gas might one day reach $1/gallon. Ah, for the good old days!

I believe JC is right. We're going to be looking at $5/gallon soon. We'll get there because demand won't really drop off sharply below that price. Once they know they can get it, the gas companies will charge it.

We can all howl as consumers, but a capitalist free market economy requires companies to charge the price that maximizes their absolute dollar profit for their shareholders. It is a balancing act between price and volume and they are now learning a totally new part of this earnings curve.

They are not gouging; they are just doing what they are paid to do --maximizing investor returns.

Probably better to invest your money in oil company stocks than in a new big SUV or Heni-engine car.

$5/gallon gas is going to change our lives and our economy a lot. We'll consume less. People who are carrying huge credit card debt will go underwater. ETc., etc.

If you have a lot of stocks in your retirement portfolio, this is a good time to look at them, think about what $5 gas will do to each of your stocks, and re-balance.

But $5/gallon gas won't destroy our economy, it will only change it. Look at Europe, where $5/gallon gas is no big deal today.

We're not looking at the end of the world. We're just looking at a sea change, IMHO. Better to consider it now and adjust your personal course than to wait until you are drowning in the currents.

Gas prices have definitely made a difference for me. I rarely even go to the fly shop anymore either cause it's 16 miles away.

As for the current situation....

The Gov. of Miss was interviewed yesterday and he said that the pipelines that were without power are now back online. These were the very pipelines that all the analysts were worried about getting back up and runnin and stated as being one of the reasons for the spike in prices.

Gas futures dropped $.20 by the close of the market on Wednesday yet prices didn't fall.

As reported in the business news, Chairman of the Board William Greehy for Valero Energy the largest refiner in the U.S became $140 million richer since Monday and $700 million dollars richer since January.

Though Valero has donated $1 million to the Red Cross.....

What do think about Mr. Greehy donating that $140,000,000 he's made this week?

The gas situation is making a difference to me. I have been looking forward to a trip to Nashville to buy a new rod and line but will take the President's advice not to make any trips that are not needed.

I'm sure the gas prices will drop in the near future, but I'm also sure that they will not drop to the former prices. And we will all be happy not to be paying over $3.00 a gallon.

Clint

------------------
    Wise men still seek HIM...
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Yesterday morning I topped off my Harley @ $3.149 today when I went by the same station it was $3.69. Back in April it would cost $7.00 to fill the tank, now it is double. Since I get 49 miles to the gallon I guess I will dress warmly and ride well into the winter.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:83e2b]FlyReelDots.com[/url:83e2b]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

All this news today...
    President talking about how the gas pipelines are back up and running.

Energy Dept. saying it will be weeks instead of months like the analysts predicted for oil platforms to be back online,

Gas and oil futures tumbling back down to the pre storm prices.

Exxon/Mobil saying it will be increasing gas output, in the next few days....

soooo, how long do you think it will be before it's seen at the pump???

Friday 9/02

Saint Paul Minnesota

Regular Gas $2.99/gal
    Premium Gas $3.19/gal
    Disel Fuel $2.79/gal

Hate to think what is going to happen to the electric and fuel bills as winter approaches... Natural Gas, Propane, and Fuel Oil, they will also be going to be sky high.

UP NORTH, there will be families deciding if they should stay feed and freeze, or stay warm and go hungry. People that will be hurt most are those on pension, those who work at minimum wage jobs, or are unemployed.

Prices on everything are rising, because of the extra cost for transporting food and goods to the stores.....

This is just the beginning folks....

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 02 September 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread