+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices made the differance

Default Gas prices made the differance

For the first time (since school days) the price of gas influnced a decision on where to go on a fishing trip. It has been tradition that we head to the Green mid. Sept. after FTD. and pitch streamers at big browns in the B section. 6 guys 3 boats 3 trucks 2 rooms for 3 days breakfast and dinner out 3 days shuddles and the rest.
    Last year fuel costs were about 350.00 this year the fuel costs would be (if they don't go up any more!)about 800.00 We are staying here and fishing the South Fork instead this year. Last year I spent about 500.00 for the 3 days and so did the rest this year we will spend about 100.00 each and fish close by. How about the rest of you?

Rich

Rich, Yeah, I guess so. I especially notice my lack of willingness to make less than half a day, or night trips to the Cape to fish a few prime hours of the tide... If it's just a shot in the dark, I'm more likely to not go. But a full day or more I'm stil onboard or I feel I may as well quit... If I got a good recent report I'd still go, but less exploratory travel. Bummer, but it is a reality for alot of us.

------------------
    "Knowledge is knowing, wisdom is understanding"

Rich,

Funny, I started a thread about a month ago asking if higher gas prices would influence the number of, or distance to, fly fishing destinations board members would take. In fact, I even specified trips beyond a certain distance. Almost everyone said it would not have an adverse impact on the number of trips or where they were going.
    The prices have effected some of my plans.

Allan

Mine too! There are some local lakes that I like to fish. But since it takes a 1/2 tank of gas round trip, I've been fishing the local river and some ponds more this year. I've even put off going down and fishing with Rick Z. I saw on the news last night that gas is expected to hit $3 per gal this weekend.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

'm even arguing with myself over a 25 min drive in a compact car because of gas. Aired up the bycycle tires and headed over to a local pond 2 miles away.

That 4pc rod may get more use soon as it will fit on a bycicle much easier!

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Anglerdave;
    When I was fueling up around 2:45 this afternoon it went from $2.799 to $2.999!! I got in just under the wire. Why don't they just drop the .9 cents and call it 3 bucks?!
    Of course they can still say it's UNDER 3 dollars and it did save me a whoping 1.6 cents!
    As it is a 30 mile one way drive for me to get to wally World, etc. I do a lot of on line shopping.
    My fishing trips are around 50 miles and for 2-4 days.

Didn't make as many trips up to camp this year. It is usually 3 tanks of gas for the whole trip. At 50 bucks a tank it ain't so easy anymore. A motorcycle is starting to sound really good. I just have to figure out a way hitch up a trailer for the yak. Six foot long bike pulling a 14 foot trailer.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Blog Entries

HEY! I just got a heck of a deal. Went to top off the tank before the big increase hit. Was talking to a buddy on the cell about fishing tomorrow and he mentioned gas was .10 cheaper up the road. So I drove 4 1/2 mile up the road and put in 11 gallon. Saved a dollar and a dime. What a deal.

Wait a minute. Then I drove 4 1/2 mile back. My truck gets 18 mile to the gallon. Gas is 2.54.

My head hurts...
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

It's going to cut down on some of the trips I take to help a buddy teach a youth tying class about 2 1/2 hours from here. My closest water is about 45 miles away and that won't be as accessible either. What worries me though is how numb I'm getting to the price increases. I drive by the stations now and I see the price is jacked up 10-15 cents and it doesn't even phase me anymore. Now I actually want to laugh at how bad these SOB's are messing us over.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

[This message has been edited by maddog48 (edited 30 August 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread