+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott rods

Default Scott rods

I have heard a few nice things about them but was wondering how they compared with say Sage, or Loomis?

Jeff

I generally like Sage best, then Scott, then Loomis. I have sold and fished all three. I think the casting action of Sage rods feels better to more casters, of different skill levels. However, some Scott rods are unique and wonderful and I actually own more of them than I do Sage.

I will also say that Scott rods are a bit tougher than Sage. We vary rarely had to send a Scott back for repair.

I haven't yet, but am especially anxious to cast/fish one of their E2 rods. I gave one a waggle and it felt like the perfect trout rod.

Yes it does

...it feels perfect for the type of trout/water I fish.

4. Default

i have rods from all three companies and they are all very good quality and craftsmanship. i don't own a super-high-end rod, tho, so i can't compare. in fact, the rods i have are all on the lower end of the product spectrum for the companies (except the mid-level Loomis). they work for what i do and they don't complain or fall apart.

------------------
    take him fishing

The G series are probably my favorite trout rods. I can't explain it other than they have "soul". Great rods inside of 40 feet, which is where most people fish anyway. You won't win a casting contest with them, but who cares? They're great fishing tools. Rods are such a personal choice, so it's hard to compare, but they are just a lot of fun for me to fish.

Hope this helps,

-John

Thanks all.

Jeff

In the arsenel we have some Sages, a Loomis, a Scott, and several no namers. The Scott and Loomis are on the heavy end and the no namers are on the light end. The Sages are mixed pretty well thru. The Scott we won somewhere and is (was) probably the most expensive rod here. It is the rod that we have to concentrate the most with as we start useing it to adjust to it's requirements. It is a grand rod....just different for us.
    Only you can decide if they are different for you or not.

Hi Jeff,

Can't comment on Loomis, but my Sage 389-3 LL and my Scott G series 7'7" 4-weight are my favorite graphite rods. Both are considered "slow" by today's standards, but then again, so am I.

Will

I should add that I currenty think my Sage 490-3 LL is the perfect trout rod. The E2 felt like a more modern version of it, a little faster but still with lots of touch.

The Sage LL series is now called the VPS Light and they are MARVELOUS rods as well. The 490-3 could be described the same way as most women's ideal man: versatile, sensitive, and able to do all the important stuff, but still has the balls to work hard when needed.

I think when you get to the top of the line manufacturers, subjective individual tastes dominate what people like best. So comparing the three, while fun to banter about, has so much leeway because what one user likes about a Sage, a Loomis, a Scott, can be exactly the opposite for another person.

I think the thing that hinders the popularity of the Scott rods is that, at least around me, almost every flyshop, and a lot of general outdoors stores carry Loomis rods... a lot, if not most carry Sage rods... while Scott rods are found in only a small percentage of the shops. I think if you found Scott rods at the same density as the other two lines, they'd be as popular as Sage.

+ Reply to Thread