+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strangest Source of Fly Material ?

Default Strangest Source of Fly Material ?

I was walking through the office the other day and noticed a piece of material on the floor. It had that reflective, irridesent quality that I'm always looking for, to be used on streamers and other attractors.

It turned out to be from an Easter Basket that someone had brought in.

Well now I have enough of the material to last a few seasons, and can't wait to tie with it.

So how about you?

What are some of the strangest sources you've found for fly material?

About a year ago a friend of mine recarpeted his home. After a couple of weeks I had stopped by for a visit and noticed little balls of what looked like dubbing on the floor. These "carpet fuzzies" as his son likes to call them have become my material of choice for scuds and sow bugs now. Every time I stop by now there is a new bag of "carpet fuzzies" waiting for me. He thinks I'm nuts but the trout don't seem to mind.

We have a 14 year old Black and whiet Springer Spaniel. Approximatly quarterly Chelsea gets her tail trimmed. Her fur is about as course as squirrel tail and works really good for dressing little spinners.

Christmas wrapping or birthday paper is great in the mylar colors. Mylar ribbon and of course those fuzzy dusters with all the bright colors For your streamers.
    Man made fabrics have lot of shine. Carpet and polyester fabrics.
    Now days with the new super thin rubber gloves in a rainbow of colors.
    Now I went this far with out saying
    ROADKILL.

ol Al

I use a lot of 'kitty dubbing' here and the cats love the brushings! My wife frowns on me using the coffee grinder so I have to resort to scissors to size it. I also use the outside layer of braided craft cord (gold or silver) to make bodies for streamers. I make one with a beadhead, a short maribou tail and some lead wraps, then remove the inside of the cord and slide the braid over the hook at the eye. A whip finish at the back and a little soft hackle in front. Brim love it.

------------------
    If it is to be, it's up to me.

[This message has been edited by MIKE_24701 (edited 07 April 2005).]

One of the more interesting I read about was, "the nether fur of a brunette female".

With the note that the author's wife was the correct shade.

------------------
    bubba_orvis

overdubbed...lol I saw this year at work what you are talking about I'm sure, it's a new type of bunny grass that look's like flash'aboo. I almost bought some just for that. anyhoo, the stranges't to me so far is black angus cow dubbing that I got off a barb wire fence. Properties look like seal dubbing to me,but I'm sure thay are alot dif, still, gonna give the flies I tied a go...

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 07 April 2005).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Blog Entries

My friend Dan was having his hair cut in our living room . I gathered up some hair and tied a Doc Spratly with the clippings . We nicknamed it the Dan Spratly . It turned out to be deadly on Rainbows . Using His hair for dubbing I tyed a scud . The coarse hair stuck out all over body of the fly and was very rough looking , I remarked to Dan's 27yr old son that It was a rough scud . He dubbed it the Dandruff and the name stuck .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

dont go in a fly swap with bubba orvis !

I want bubba_orvis' fly!

+ Reply to Thread