+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Casting Full Sink Lines

1. Default Casting Full Sink Lines

I have always used floating, weight forward lines for dry flies and nymphs in the mountain streams when I visit my home; however, I reside in eastern North Carolina now where numerous farm ponds are. I need a full sink line or sink tip line for these circumstances. Which is easier to cast-a sink tip or a full sink line? Are both a chuck-and-duck situation? I understand the Scientific Anglers Stillwater line casts easily. Please advise to the problems of casting the SA Sink Tip or SA Uniform Sink PLus. I would appreciate any comments.

I would say the sink tip lines are easier to cast, but if you are going to lake fish get the SA Stillwater. The only problem is since it is all transparent, its hard to see your line while you cast. I don't know how good you are a caster so I don't know if this matters. I resorted to using the Uniform sink plus III for my mountain lakes (its dark blue) and its fairly easy to cast. Not as easy as a DT or a floating line though.

Migs

3. Default

Thank you, migs for your response. Is one of the lines any better as to strike detection? I understand that the uniform sink plus excels as to strike detection. How about the SA Stillwater as to strike detection?

Without a doubt, sink-tip lines are easier to cast and handle. The problem with a full sinking line is the fact that it must be retrieved almost all the way in before you can lift it from the water for the next cast. They work fine from a float tube if you have an apron on which to strip-in the line.

Regards,

Emerger

Full-sink are preferred for stillwater in my opinion over sink-tips; easier strike detection and control over where the fly is. Casting is different - especially with the faster sinking lines - not so much with the intermediate, type I and II, lines. Use few to no false casts. After stipping in line per the retrieve, roll cast the remaining line to the surface, then go overhead once and shoot the rest of the line out with the cast.

My experience is mostly from float tube. From shore the sink-tip sometimes has an advantage in that it does not get hung up on a shallow bottom.

[This message has been edited by Shoe (edited 07 April 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread