+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cleaning rods

Default cleaning rods

I've been saltwater fishing for about 2 yrs. now. During a 3-4 day trip I'll rinse off the rods and reels once or twice, then when I get home I put them in the bath tub with warm soapy water, wash them well, rinse them well, then put them to dry before putting them back in the tubes. I transport them home wraped in a cloth so I don't get salt in the tubes. Even after all that, one of my rods is sarting to show rust on a stripping guide. Is there something else I should be doing??

Try some blakemores reel magic. I fish the salt in Corpus Christi and it keeps the rust at bay. [url=http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=16524&hvarTarget=search: 05bca]http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=16524&hvarTarget=search[/url:05bca]

Hi,
    Before going out I always wipe all my gear down with one of those silicon impregnated rod and gun cloths. I repeat this after I have been out and the rods are clean before putting them away. You have made a very valid point though about the tubes and rod socks absorbing salt though. I had not though about that but it makes sense.
    The routine I have been following has served me well over the years. I have rods and reels that are thirty to fourty years old and still like new because of the silicon wipe down,I am sure.

Boeshield.

SaltX and then a coating of Boeshield.
    FFF Life Member #22

Specific to the question about the guides. Do you reccommend the T-9 or the Rust Free Boeshield? Thanks, Jonezee

Jonezee...................
    I put a coating of Boeshield T-9 on all my reels, reel seats and guides after cleanup when they have been used in the salt. Never had a problem.
    FFF Life Member #22

Thanks for reply> I sure learn a lot here on FAOL> Never heard of Boeshield before. Went on line and learned a lot. Boeing always is in the forfront when it comes to things like this. I mostly use Remington Rem-Lube, but I like the contents of Boeshield. I think the wax ingrediants will set it apart. Again, Thanks, Jonezee

+ Reply to Thread