+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flats Packs

Default Flats Packs

I am looking for opinions on what company, ( and what model), is the best flats pack. I?m a big guy, 46" waist and want one with a wide belt, (that won?t slip like many of the new style buckles), and will hold at least three SA waterproof fly boxes. It would be nice if it carried one water bottle but that is an option that is not required.
    FFF Life Member #22

DickM

I have worn a vest most of my life while fishing the flats, but man it is heavy. I am a lot bigger than you are and my weight along with the weight of the vest is too much. A few weeks ago I saw a fellow that had made a small tow behind rig. It had lots of gear and he would anchor it from time to time and fish around it. If you are fishing "calm flats" it might be something to consider. I am guessing but the thing was about 2 feet long and maybe 2 feet wide. It was not huge but it had a nice storage box on it. Looked like a small tackel box. I could not see the anchor but with it being that small it could have been something he had in is back pocket. The thing was made of foam and had cup holders in it for his drink of choice.

I will be following your thread to see what the gang has to offer.

Good Luck

Harold

I've tried chest packs, vests, shoulder bags, fanny packs, back packs, what have you.
    There was not a clear advantage to any one

Now I carry my tools on a lanyard and my flys and other gear in my pockets
    For flys, I carry one large fly box that I supply out of the many boxes stored in my tackle bag that stays in the car.
    Works for me.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Harold.............
    That would work if I was starting out wading a flat from the shore. Problem is that on the flats of Belize you are constantly jumping in and out of the boat going from flat to flat. I think that it would be more of a pain in the butt than just wearing something from spot to spot.

dudley.............
    I have tried a lanyard around here and I just don?t like all that stuff clanking around my neck and chest. I would rather be able to swivel a lumbar pack around to the front and go to the pocket that holds the item I need and then get it out of my way while casting.

Most of the problems that I have had with fanny packs is that the belts loosen up while wading and want to slid down around your knees. I have thought of suspenders but then you wouldn?t be able to pivot the pack to the front to get to the proper pocket.
    FFF Life Member #22

Dick, I think what you're looking for is a fanny pack that has a cross-over shoulder strap. I have an ll bean tackle bag that converts to a fanny/lumbar pack. The shoulder strap readjusts and it doesn't slip. Mine isn't in the catalog anymore, but it's similar to fishpond's "waterdance guide pack".

I finally found a fanny pack that had one large area and one small pocket. It was $15 and I can wear it around my waist or extend the straps and put it over a shoulder. I can't see spending big money for something that does the same.

jed

Jed.........
    I have had three different fanny pack in six years. I kept buying the fancy ones on eBay and then would always find something about them that I didn?t care for. Bad webbing, to many bells and whistles (like built in zingers, dividers and water bottles) etc. I would then sell them on eBay and go back to my old JanSport fanny pack. It was OK but would only hold two SA waterproof boxes. I finally went down today with my fly boxes and tried out the Patagonia Hip/Chest pack. No dividers, just one huge opening and a mesh zippered pocket in the front for tools & tippet material. The webbing is comfortable and does not slip in adjustment. It is just what I have been looking for. Not cheap but everything that I have ever gotten by Patagonia lasts forever.
    FFF Life Member #22

Patagonia is good stuff. Glad you found what you like. With saltwater I find everything dies an early death so its cheap, cheap, cheap for me.

jed

i swear by the orvis chest pack. what i like best is the orientation of the pack is vertical, not horizontal, so it doesn't get in the way. lots of pockets and also a back pack.

Thanks for the replay Dave.
    I found what I wanted in the Patagonia Hip/Chest pack. One huge pocket to hold 3 large fly boxes and an outer mesh pocket for my tools and spools. And none of the bells & whistles which I don?t need.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread