+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape Cod Stripers

Default Cape Cod Stripers

Hey gang, this is officially my first post on this board. Just hopin to tap into your guys wealth of knowledge for those of you who fish the cape. We'll be headin up from Erie PA(Steelhead Alley) on june 12 and we'll be up there for the whole week. I'll be building my own rods for the trip and was wondering what rod weights you guys like for up there. Also any suggestions on a general set up (I.E. sink tips and the like) Also some of the fly patterns you guys like for up there. I'm assuming clousers and decievers will be in the mix but any additional patterns that work well in the Cape would be greatly appreciated. I don't know exactly where we'll be fishing but the guy im coming up with has access to his friends boat (i think its an 18 foot skiff) for the entire week if that helps at all. Thanks Everyone
    Kyle Caldwell

Hi Kyle. I live on the Cape and fish alot for stripers. You will want to bring a 9 or 10 weight - I prefer a 9, and a good reel with a disc drag. I fish hard mono leaders, 9', down to 10 or 12 lb. tippets. 90 percent of my fishing is with an intermediatte line. If fishing from a boat in deeper water I would reccomend a full sinking density compensated line. A floating line of course for poppers and gurglers. Clousers and decievers are fine, especially chartreuse and white clousers, as well as olive and white clousers. I also like to fish the Fox flies by Jack Gartside and do well with them, but I'm the only guy I know that fishes them... Also try some Glass Minnows or white Hi-Ties. Don't forget to tie some BIG flies in case you need to imitate Herring that fish may be keying on - 6" to 8" flies. Let us know how you do - and bring a camera! Tight lines, Alec

------------------
    [url=http://www.favoriteflies.com:5e688]Favorite Flies[/url:5e688]

[url=http://www.opc.org:5e688]+[/url:5e688]

[This message has been edited by flytackle (edited 03 May 2006).]

I second flytackle's gear recomendation and also suggest some type of sand eel pattern if fishing a sandy bottom, chatruese, olive, yellow, and white in any combination seem to work best.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

What they said! An 8 wt. is a little light, but works well with the schoolies. For flies I also use a Ray's Fly
    [url=http://www.stripermoon.com/flyarch/arc1.html:b2da4]http://www.stripermoon.com/flyarch/arc1.html[/url:b2da4]

for the pattern. Works well.

jed

CD78,
    I'll be on my marathon striper quest the same time you are there. A regular trip for about 10 years now.
    Clousers and sparse decievers are good imitations of sand eels. You might also want to bring some sand eel flys. While you're at it some flys that imitate sand eels are a good idea.
    Flat wings, blondes, surf candies are all good sand eel imitations

This [url=http://www.onthewater.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OTW&Product_Co de=BGCC&Category_Code=B:567d6]book[/url:567d6] is a good guide for boaters.
    The same company also has a Cape shore guide.

Flytackle, I'm a fan of Jack's but I'm not familiar with his fox flys
    Can you fill us in?
    ------------------
    Friends don't let friends drive gas hogs

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 03 May 2006).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Here's one tied with Silver Fox. Make sure you keep the underfur in for bulk. It's essentally a deceiver style fly tied with Fox - an excellent natural material with lots of movement in the water and very durable. This is a darker example - you might want to use lighter fur for the underside. Cheers - Alec

Hey FT,

That is fox tail right?

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Sorry... yes indeed that's foxtail - silver fox. I also use red fox and have tied some with arctic fox as well - all excellent. The body fur is suitable as well, but only for smaller flies since it's not as long as the tail fur. Another thing I like about this fly is that it's durable - always a nice quality in the salt. Cheers, Alec

The above info is all good, but make sure you bring some wire bite guards- 4" usually works in case you get into a bunch of bluefish. At times they are the only game in town, and rather than move on you can try a few of them before you resume looking for stripers.I think you will be impressed with their pulling ability. I usually keep a few flys "pre wired" in the flybox to quickly tie on in a hurry if need be. Trust me, it can be a "daysaver". Tight Lines, Jim

------------------
    "Knowledge is knowing, wisdom is understanding"

I agree about the Blue Fish. pound for pound I think they fight as well as or better than Stripers. They just don't get nearly as large.

jed

+ Reply to Thread