+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Dudes Skiff

Default The Dudes Skiff

Well, we haven't had a report on the progress, is he out with Linda polling and Him catching all the fish on the fancy platform.

Hope we get to see some pics

Old geezer
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I was told by professional flyfishing guides that flyfishing off a CS was next to impossible without chumming the fish within distance because of the hull slap nose, so maybe the dude's practicing his 90 foot flycasts in the 25 knot winds to get ready, or......he's finally getting started on that book of fishing stories, fables & all those fish that got away with the tackle..........& the boats !

I know better that, that skiff will pole in 4" of water and hull slap ya got me there. He don't need casting practice thats for sure.

Hows the fishin been Dave

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Okay, here's an update...
    1). I'm working on the story called "Shakedown".
    2). The digital took a dump (bad batteries), so a re-shoot is in order.
    3). Linda caught the first redfish on the new skiff, and got her first ever snook on the second trip out (21").
    4). The "V-series" Carolinda Skiff's hull slap ain't really bad at all, and it poles like a champ.
    5). It really does float in mud.
    6). Linda has me building a freakin' huge deck out in the back yard, and I ain't no carpenter...*&$#!!@#!
    7). I haven't had time to wind my butt or scratch my watch. But hopefully, I'll get this deck finished this holiday weekend, 'cause I ain't gettin' near the water with all the morons out there.
    . Dave, talk about snap, crackle and pop....yeehaw!
    9). Geeze, thanks for the casting compliment, but the new skiff ain't seen a flyrod yet, but its about to (after said deck is finished.)

Thanks for the report. I figured she had another honey do list. Nice to see your making browney points with the woman and putting her into fish.

Is hull slap a problem on a CS ?? is it the way the hull raps close to the water line or just the line of the hull itself.

Dave would resort to any old trick like chummimg but I know better, the Dude would never do such a sacrilegious thing like that, not even for Linda so you can protect the investment

The Geezer

Phil, the CS is kind of like the front of an air boat hull...very flat, wheel barrow like. It you have a slight ripple into the bow, the waves won't be cut by a "V" in the bow, so they just slap. This model we have has a slight "V" to cut the wave somewhat. Given the right conditions, they will all slap a little. To be honest, I've never noticed it made a lot of difference to the fish. I always figured that the weight of the boat would change the water pressure that could possibly alert the fish to ones presence, and also, hell, I'm stading on a poling platform almost five feet above the water's surface, and they seldom pay attention to me. They are spooky, but not that spooky...sometimes. But then I've seen them spook if a fly goes over them too closely.

Dude;

You need to tell everyone that Linda does not give you honey do list she gives you honey do books. Glad to hear the boat is in the water. I am sure that makes life a lot more enjoyable. Why a deck, hurricanes love those?

Did you buy a hurricane deflector? <grin>

So she got a snook, looks like she is ruined for life now. Good thing cause that will make the honey do's slow down. Get her a tarpon next. YOU KNOW where they live.

Harold

She's already jumped a tarpon....a baby, but none the less a 'poon. But it ain't slowed down the "honey do" list, besides, she has her own guide at her beckoned request...somebody's gotta pole the boat!

Dude, you're probably getting a few things done without having to get up for the really early morning coffee cup car rides, so you've got the time to hear that snap, crackle & pop......Just passing on some not so reliable flyfishing hull slap info that I was taught. Seems a boat that runs in 9" of water & floats in 4" when needed is an excellent expensive fishin' platform. For some reason the "pros" of the tourney circuit couldn't believe that 40 or 50 foot fly rod casts to the mangroves off a CS actually resulted in fish without chumming or casting 90' or more since Carolina Skiffs are notoriously noisy with hull slap ! As for fishing...wishin' I was fishin', daydreamin' I'm fishin', fishin' on the internet...just got the house pressure washed today so it can be repainted after Charley ( 2 years ago ) and almost done with about 6 days to spare for the new hurricane season ! Tarpon fishin' on June 1 with any luck !

+ Reply to Thread