+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to Feed To Hungry Makos

Default What to Feed To Hungry Makos

Here is probably the ugliest, rudest poper-head fly ever constructed. And it works!

Here are a few more fly-in-mouth images. Just variations on the Mako Madness Popper Head flies..

Rich

and...

[url=http://www.bowmanbluewater.com/images/gallery/Photo018.jpg:b1a13]http://www.bowmanbluewater.com/images/gallery/Photo018.jpg[/url:b1a13]

[url=http://www.bowmanbluewater.com/images/gallery/Photo009.jpg:b1a13]http://www.bowmanbluewater.com/images/gallery/Photo009.jpg[/url:b1a13]

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 17 May 2006).]

Wondering if those hammerheads & bull sharks out around Boca Grande will go for those? Just last week a few fellows caught the pending world record hammerhead ( over 700 pounds ) on a jack crevalle. That type fly might just be what the 13 weight rod needs for some fun in the sun & surf!

FYI-Try the fly on some other sharks. The Blues take them-but we try not to catch them

We have changed from using an integrated popper fly to a popper unit that can be used in conjunction with a large Mako deceiver. The larger the Mako-the more it wants a bigger bait and the addition of a huge popper head makes a difference.

The posted image shows a Clacker Popper head. It features a flared brass tube with two foam faces. In between is a large solid bead with metal ferrales and painted eyes.
    This bead slides back and forth on the brass sleeve and clacks as you pop the fly during the retrieve. Rude by effective.

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 17 May 2006).]

What to feed to hungry makos??.........
    Lithuanian stripah fishin' writers!!!
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Good idea Mike. Might be best if the bait had a shiney spot up top to reflect light.

jed

only if we can use mid-western float tubers as a strike indicator!

385# shark; record set yesterday. Claims worlds biggest fly caught fish.

I'd ask Josko to pilot the boat and I'd be willing to man the rod. Thank you both.

Unfortunately Josko cannot do it this week as I believe he is on a week long kayak/fishing trip somewhere in the Carribean. He's packing his stuff for the week and then leaving civilization behind. What a life!

jed

jed

By ADRIAN SAINZ

MIAMI May 16, 2006 (AP)? A doctor with a slew of world fishing records added another one to his collection when he caught a 385-pound lemon shark on fly tackle, the International Game Fish Association said Tuesday.

Dr. Martin Arostegui caught the heaviest fish ever documented on fly tackle, beating out a nearly 40-year-old record, IGFA world records coordinator Rebecca Reynolds said.

"We brought it in alive and we released it alive," Arostegui told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "That to me is what made the catch very special."

Arostegui caught the lemon shark in flats near the Marquesas Keys west of Key West in early March.

He and Capt. Ralph Delph of Key West used a filleted barracuda tied to the boat to create a scent line that attracted the hungry shark, Arostegui said.

As he watched the shark approach, he switched to a fly rod with 12-pound tippet and a bright orange, 7-inch feathered fly streamer. Arostegui said he quickly moved it one time and hooked the fish.

He fought the fish for one hour, and at one point the shark opened its jaws and attacked Delph's 29-foot boat.

"He could have eaten half of me or even all of me in one bite," said Arostegui, who stands at 5 feet tall.

The next step was restraining and hauling aboard the dangerous shark. Delph gaffed it in the soft, fleshy part of its tail as Arostegui tied the fish in front of the tail with a cleated rope.

But the fish proved too heavy to bring aboard, so they enlisted the help of another fisherman and guide who were nearby. The four men wrestled the shark into a 10-foot long live well designed by Delph.

The 7 1/2-foot long fish was brought into Key West and weighed. After a 60-day waiting period, the fishing association confirmed the record catch, but placed it in the 16-pound tippet line class because Arostegui's weighed in at 13 pounds. A tippet is the part of a leader that a fly is attached to.

The previous record for heaviest fish on fly tackle was a 356-pound goliath grouper, also known as jewfish, caught by Bart Froth in Islamorada on 12-pound tippet. That record had been on the books since March 15, 1967.

Last year, Arostegui, of Coral Gables, received a lifetime achievement award from the IGFA for over 100 world record catches through 2004.

With his latest catch, Arostegui also beat his own 257-pound record for a lemon shark, and the heaviest shark on fly tackle, beating out a 353-pound hammerhead shark caught two years ago

On the Net:

International Game Fish Association: [url=http://www.igfa.org.:9815f]http://www.igfa.org.[/url:9815f]

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 18 May 2006).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> at one point the shark opened its jaws and attacked Delph's 29-foot boat.

"He could have eaten half of me or even all of me in one bite," said Arostegui, who stands at 5 feet tall. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sounds like bait fishing to me.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread