+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Reel Capacity and backing

Default Fly Reel Capacity and backing

Ok, I'm just getting into this salt water fly fishing thing. But can we talk fly reel capacity and backing a little? Just basic stuff.

Close by, there are some good places to wade fish and catch early season stripers on an 8-weight. I understand it's sort of like wet-fly fishing -- except that you do it with an intermediate sink line and clousers or deceivers. Maybe you'd also like to toss poppers in marshy areas with a floating line from your kayak when that time rolls around. Using that same 8-weight, of course.

What kind of backing and capacity would you want on your reel?

Maybe it would help to know that you're speaking to a trout fisherman who never sees his backing otherwise -- so just basic info.

Thanks!

Usually it is recommened that you have 150 to 250 yards of backing on a reel for northeast fishing.
    But, if you ever really need more than 100 yards you are a very lucky person
    Most of my spools carry 125-150 yards

Get used to seeing that backing
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks!

For those two fishing situations, would you say 20lb backing is about right?

Also, I typically tie a nail knot for backing to line, backed up with a little knot glue. But, as I said, I've never seen that backing since I put it on. And maybe I'll never see it for what I plan to do now, but there's a greater chance that I will.

Think the nail knot/glue trick is still a good idea?

20# backing is fine
    If you tie a good nail knot, than that is what you should use.
    The glue is a good back-up but doesn't replace a well tied knot.
    Always use knots that you have confidence in.

I use a loop2loop connection. I tie a whipped(or double nail knotted)loop in the butt end of my line and a bimini twist(or double surgeon's loop) in the backing.
    That way if I want to change lines, I can slip the line throught the backing loop.

One of the most important things to practice when going from a trout background to saltwater is your knots.
    Keep a spool of cheap mono around so you can practice whenever you get a chance.
    It will make a difference.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I agree with what has been said. Most of my reels have 125 ~ 150 yds backing. On my new (largest) reel I have 250 yds of gel spun backing. It takes the same space as 150 yds of dacron. It is my dream to get to the spool on the new reel, or for that matter to see the spindle on the older ones.

Thats why I think 125 ~ 150 yds is sufficient.

jed

BigFlatBrook.........
    I to, prefer the loop to loop connection between my fly line and backing. It will end up the safest connection you can make if you use a Bimini to the loop in the fly line.
    Most saltwater guys prefer 30# Dacron to 20# as it is stronger than the fly line. If something breaks, you want it to be in your leader system and not in the backing. You will automatically have more abrasion resistance also.
    Even though you are fishing for Stripers, you never are certain what might hit that fly in the salt.
    It could be something huge.
    My preference for backing is Micron Saltwater backing. Unlike regular backing, it has a teflon coating on it to make it slicker and help stop deterioration.
    FFF Life Member #22

DickM,

When you say Bimini, do you mean Bimini Twist?

This is gonna be a whole new world!

thanks

EVERYBODY do the bimini twist!!
    The best part about learning to tie a bimini is seeing it "twist"
    If you've never tried one, even if you will never need to use one. You've got to do it.

I have 30# backing on my 10-11wt reel.
    On my 8 and 9wt reels I have 20# backing.

------------------
    "such a day, Rum all out.
    Our Company somewhat sober.
    A damn'd Confusion amongst us!
    Rouges a plotting; great Talk of Separtion,
    So I look'd sharp for a prize; such a Day took one,
    with a great deal of Liquor on board,
    so kept yhe Company hot,
    then all Things were well again."

Blackbeard's Log
    --- Horace Kephart

BigFlatBrook................
    Yes, I mean the Bimini Twist knot.
    It will provide you with a large loop to go through the loop on your fly line and over the fly line spool so you will not form a girth hitch. It also acts as a shock abzorbing spring between your fly line and the backing. Close to 100% in Dacron.
    FFF Life Member #22

Don't those loops rattle when they run through the guides? You don't have problems with the loops catching on the guides and breaking off a fish?

+ Reply to Thread