+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clouser minnow colors for saltwater

Default Clouser minnow colors for saltwater

Hi,
    Anyone have any suggestions for colors of clouser minnows that are good for saltwater? I'm going for Redfish near Destin, Fl. I already tied the Chart/White and Yellow/Chart. I was thinking red/white and maybe black/gold. Also any suggestions for redfish flies that are a must?

Thanks

I live in Ft. Walton Beach, which is 6 miles from Destin. The best Clousers are the chartreuse and white and a local pattern called a Seminole Clouser, which is primarily orange and gold. I have the pattern written up somewhere, and will scan it in and send it to you if you want? Let me know. If you contact me when you get here I'll be glad to help you out however you want. I'll be in Mexico bass fishing next week (hehehe) but will be available after that.

Bill

------------------
    I fly fish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

Can't tell you what redfish eat because I haven't chased them yet...but...my sw flybox contains the following clousers:

All white
    All black
    All chartreuse
    chartreuse & white
    gray & white
    blue & white
    purple & white
    rootbeer & white
    tan & white
    olive & white
    pink & white
    red & white
    red & black
    yellow & black
    purple & black
    pink & yellow
    rootbeer & orange

Most have some flash. And, I've probably forgotten a few combinations; but, you get the picture

At least clousers are easy to tie!

SW Ladyfish,
    I didn't know they made that many colors, I'm just kidding. With that many combos I wouldn't know which to use.

jkilroy

What type of equipment are you thinking of taking to Destin? I have a big warning, the first redfish I hooked into in that area
    was over 48 inches long. Please be prepared the fish in that area can be huge. If you can get a guide and go. That is a destination that could steal your heart. Listing to Caibill he is right with the colors. But I like what SW Ladyfish has in her fly box. I will add one that has worked for me in the past and it is all silver. Flash is fine, just make it sparse and with lots of shine. Tie some in 3/0 and make the fly big. There are big fish in that area. I would take more 2/0 but depending on the time of year you can go bigger. If you are going to fish off a boat try some cuda flies. One cuda on the fly rod and you may never go home.

If you get the time fish Deer Point lake near Panama city. Some of the best bass and crappie fishing in the area. My wife caught a 3lb crappie there one year.

If you can fish off the rocks cast along side of them. I have not been to Destin in a long time but the fishing there was great. We have a few more people from that area maybe someone will wade in and give you some places to fish... Heck give them enough lead time and maybe you can get a little get together going.

Have fun and I will be watching for the reports.

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 13 February 2006).]

I will only have 1 day to fish. I will probably rent a Kayak and go out in the bay across from Hurlburt Field AFB. I hope a * wt is enouph, it's gonna have to be for now. Fly fishing gear is expensive. I need to upgade my 5wt next. I was there 3 weeks ago brought all my gear and the weather and fishing was horrible. I went to the bass pro shop and said the fish aren't biting now. I'll be back in April.

jkilroy, One: redfish arnt fussy eaters no matter what time of year it is. Can change from day to day but on the whole they feed year round. Colder months mean deeper water for the hunt. Two: Redfish are suckers or gold. Gold spoon flys, or clausers with gold flashand dont scimp on the gold flash. Three: Flys tyed on with a loop knot give the flys more realistic action. Four: Redfish are perdominetly but not exclusive bottom feeders. If you only have one day to fish use a wighted fly and keep it on or very near the bottom. Florocarbon leaders come to mind. #12 tippet is highlly recomended. A very simple fly for redfish is the Shalimar Gold, (three time tournement winner Fortwalton fly club). 5/32 lead eyes tyed clauser style. Three turns of red chinele wound behind the eyes. White calf tail tyed over bend back style, tan calf tail tyed over the white, and topped with gold flash. Leave your flash a little longer than the calf tail. All over wing no under as you would do a clauser. Yes I leave the hook shank bare other than the three turns of red chinnel behind the eyes. The fly rides hook point up every time all the time. Very simple tye, very effective fly what more could you ask.

------------------
    Captn. Paul Darby
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Thanks Captn. I'll tie a few

9. Default

I don't know if it is the best but I believe that the chartreuse over white Clouser Minnow has to be the most popular color from Alaska to Baja and east to Martha's Vinyard. You can take a stash of them in various sizes anywhere and expect to catch something. the C&W Clouser is really a gem for coho salmon in the saltwaters of Vancouver Island, being particularly favored at Clayouqout Sound and along the beaches around Qualicum Beach south of Campbell River.
    Les Johnson

Clouser seem to be the topic of the week for me at the moment. What with the excellent innovation of the pattern by Richard A Lewis for this weeks 'Fly of the week'; recently having the time to have a good look at Bob Clousers' book - 'Clouser's Flies' and being asked to demonstrate tying clouser variations at a AGM this weekend.

This piece on Fish vision and colour might interest you.
    [url=http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/science/ross_color.aspx:4762d]http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/science/ross_color.aspx[/url:4762d]

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member [url=http://www.ukbass.com:4762d]www.ukbass.com[/url:4762d]
    [url=http://jamiercgriff.blogspot.com:4762d]http://jamiercgriff.blogspot.com[/url:4762d]

+ Reply to Thread