+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Reel Question

Default Fly Reel Question

I am planning on heading down at the end of May for some Tarpon action. I have a LA reel with 10 wt line on it for Fresh water salmon and larger pike. It is not designed for the salt, has a decent drag and has not failed me with its current use. Can I use this for Tarpon with the appropriate line or do I need a reel dedicated to salt applications?
    TaG

I don't see a problem as long as you carefully clean out your reel with fresh water after every use. Salwater specific reels come into their own when exposed to salt regularly. They hold up better, but eventually the salt always gets em.

Clean it and you won't have a problem.

P.S. - If your hiring a guide you can leave your gear at home. They will provide.

Take care.

------------------
    Ed Mercado
    [url=http://www.mercconsulting.com:483bb]http://www.mercconsulting.com[/url:483bb]
    Web Design for the Treasure Coast.

Maybe for baby tarpon (20 lbs or so), but a full-size tarpon will eat that reel for lunch. You need a minimum of a 12 wt with 200 yds of backing, 300 would be better. And pray a lot.

A 10WT will be OK for smaller fish but keep in mind that last season on my few trips I was mainly casting to Tarpon between 50 and 130lbs. Those fish are more like 12WT quarry, not 10WT. The other issue is the rod. A 10WT rod will not be able to apply enough pressure to the larger fish to get them landed and released in a reasonable amount of time. If you fight the fish too long you have turned that Tarpon into shark food and that's not good.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

Which reel is it? A 10wt is a bit light, if your gonna fish for adults. I normally use a 12wt, and save my 10wt for Permit.

Thanks for the imput. I will stick to a 12 wt from what I hear. I have booked a guide for part of the trip but the friend of a friend we are staying with has a boat and we thought we may "free lance" for a day or so. Sounds like I may need to buy myself a late Valentines gift!!!
    T-a-G

Where are you going after your tarpon? If your guide is a fly person he might have a rod/reel for you to use that's all set up the way it should be.

Two of the guides I've had experience with give you the option of using their rods if you like.

Rusty <><

------------------
    "PC" is for Plant City not Politically Correct. if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

Good luck! Tarpon are a real adrenaline rush. Over the last 3 years I've seen a bunch, hooked several (all on the guide's 12 wt), but haven't landed any (yet). They either cut me off (they have some rough patches deep in their throat) or throw the fly on a jump. When a 100+ pounder comes clear of the water 50 ft from the boat and tail walks, it takes a week to get your heart rate back to normal.

We are going out of Ft Myers with Lee Island Outfitters. I was down there 2 yrs ago and hooked one on a rod and reel it came up once and throught the hook on the first jump. I was hooked right there and want to get a chance on the fly. The guide does have the proper rods, but we may fish a couple of days with out the guide on a friends boat who is not a fly fisherman so I thought I would try to bring my own equiptment.
    I can't wait until May!!!

+ Reply to Thread