+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing The Surf

Default Fishing The Surf

Just read a great article on Striper Moon
    [url=http://www.stripermoon.com/:33200]http://www.stripermoon.com/[/url:33200]

Its about the science of surf fishing. Makes me want to go out and try it tonight... but I'll pass as its expected to be close to 10 degrees tonight. I'm not like Dude, I get cold.

jed

Surf casting with a fly rod is my favorite type of fishing.
    The pounding surf, the timing of the cast, the challenge of possibly catching a huge fish from the water right at your feet makes for very exciting fishing.
    I've tried fishing "Kenny" style with a dead drift on a floating line. It's not easy when the surf is up. I keep tring, but a sinking line seem to end up on my rod more often then not.
    One thing I find myself doing more and more is fishing with a dropper.
    This past spring when there was so many "dinks" about, the only way to put a bend in the 10wt was to catch two fish at a time.
    In the past I have caught 2 two footers at once. That was fun.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Jed, that really was a good article--lots of info on a fun way to fish!

In the article Ken suggested floating line as it is easier to mend and to control.

jed

jed,
    He uses an extra long, medium action rod, around 11 or 11.5 feet to help lift the mend over the crest of the wave.
    I find his style difficult to do with a 9 footer.
    Maybe I'm not tring hard enough(or maybe I need to find shorter waves).
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Dudley,
    I can relate. I was at a fly fishing show last year and someone was trying to sell me a very fast rod. He talked about being able to cast 100+ feet... Then I looked at his arms. He probably coudl cast 100 feet with a broomstick and string. So much of what people can do relates to not only skill but also physical ability. This is not ment to say skill isn't alot of it, but size and strength do matter.

jed

Jed/Dudley,

Have you considered a short doublehander for fishing the surf. It really helps with line control when the waves are pounding in. In addition to which, it is a lot less effort to cast a lot more line.

I have seen them used quite a lot in the surf when I have been fishing in MA. I use them here in the UK in surf. There are quite a few of these switch/overhead casting style double handers around. Whilst I have not cast the CND rods they look VERY well built, I have a Meiser rod which is absolutely superb and another from Australia, which I believe is based on one of the Talon blanks. Something between 11'-13' seems to fit the bill.

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:a1b00]http://www.ukbass.com[/url:a1b00]

Jed, I start to hibernate when it approaches 70 degrees!!!

I have started seeing the two handed rods on the water and have heard more and more people talking about them. My question is can you haul with a two handed rod? It seems that of all the guys I see using the two handed rods can't cast all that far as I can cast farther just by hauling.

I have never used one so I am curious.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

micro, you can't haul, but i guarantee you can cast further. i have a 12.5 ft. two hander, and it easily throws not only the whole line but a lot of backing, too. kind of hard to use in the yak, though.

+ Reply to Thread