+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightest you've gone in saltwater?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Lightest you've gone in saltwater?

On the general BB, we were joking about Royal Wulff showing up for a bluefish blitz with his beloved one-weight outfit. The mental picture has tickled me for days but it did start me thinking (again).

I was wondering how light an outfit my fellow pirates have fished in saltwater and what species you were trying to catch at the time. I've gone as light as a nine-foot, #4 weight when fishing for flounder, sand dabs, and sand sharks. How about you!

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

8 wt. is as light as i'd go where i fish. though we catch mostly schoolies, i want to be prepared if that 48 inch striper takes the fly (which has happened to two friends, both of whom landed the fish!)

In the mid/late 70's I use to fish with an old beat-up glass 6wt with a medalist reel. I "knew better" than to use a good fly rod in the salt.
    At the time I hadn't heard of anyone seriously fly fishing salt water. I only did it because I always fished with a fly rod.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

7 wt. Caught quite a few nice redfish too. But as my partner in crime stated, I'm just waiting for that fifty pound red to whack the devil outa my light rod, so I primarily fish my 9 x 9.

From the beach a 5-wt Lamiglass Glass rod to chase resident Coho and Sea Run Cutts with. Only do this on occations And that is due to the fact that rod is often in the truck and ready to go. I also use a St Criox SW-6WT for the same type of fishing, when the trip is more planed out as well as chasing Pink Salmon. Most of the time from the boat or kayak its the 8-WT for those times just in case I hook into a large King or Tyee to take me for a ride.

I've gone as low as 7 wt. and will not go any lower. Most all of my salt water fishing is on shallow water flats and the fish are always released. I take no pride at all in fighting a prized flats fish on a too light rod only to release it to a certain death to sharks or the elements in a weakened condition....get them in and release them to fight another day, that's my opinion.

On any trip to the flats, I take along a 3 or 4 weight. During the evenings it's fun to play around the beach and docks, catching snapper, ladyfish, pinfish, etc.

There is a guide down in texas who specializes in pursuing redfish with ultralight rods. Can't remember his name, but ESPN did a story on him a few years back.

Fred

I caught a snook on a 4wt once, but it's not what I typically use. I was aiming for something much smaller at the time. It was a hell of a fight.

I've regulary used my 6wt in the salt, but like FD said, 9x9 is my weapon on choice.

------------------
    Ed Mercado
    [url=http://www.mercconsulting.com:58f17]http://www.mercconsulting.com[/url:58f17]
    Web Design for the Treasure Coast.

Use an "ought" sometimes for jacksmelt. Otherwise I guess it would be a 3wt we tossed together. Pestered halibut, rays (incidental to the halli's), Carcinero, baby roosters, bonito, chicken dorado, ballyhoo, small yellowtails, blue rockfish, schoolie stripers, and maybe a few other forgotten stuff on the 3wt.
    ....lee s.

I use a 4wt on occasion for croaker,spot,small flounder and schoolie stripers.Generally i use 6wt-8wt for most other SWFF.

+ Reply to Thread