+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackson Hole Wyoming

Default Jackson Hole Wyoming

Where is a good location to fish that area around the end of July through beginning of August? Are there any local shops or guide services?

Seege

We hired a guide out of Westbank Anglers (www.westbank.com) near Teton Village before and were pleased. Jack Dennis also has a good guide service out of his Jacksonhole location, but I never used any of his guides, so don't know how they are, but would assume they're also a quality operation.

I've also rented a raft setup for Driftfishing at a place in downtown Jackson Hole--whitewater raft, kayak rentals, etc-- and we drifted a self guided tour at the upper end of the Snake down to Moose. Lots of smaller cutts but very pretty.

There are lots of places to stay in the area--we opted for condo camping and stayed in teton village at the ski area.

I think you'll find it a pleasant area to fish and your timing should be pretty good.
    Mike

Mike thanks for the info. We are also looking for some flies that would be best when getting there.

Seege

We are not sure on booking a guide due to being a large family trip. I think the few that are going to fish would be more interested in sneaking away for a day or so to do some fishing. So rivers/waters to fish would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    Seege

[This message has been edited by FIREMAN (edited 01 April 2005).]

Fireman,

For a trip of a lifetime, get in touch with Worldcast Anglers in Jackson Hole. They are located in the Orvis shop. Take their overnight trip on the South Fork of the Snake river in Idaho. I promise you will not be dissapointed. I have taken the trip three times and loved it each time. Ask for Kasey Collins to be your guide. You can go online to their website to get information on the trip. If you have any other questions about that trip or the area, email me and I will give you my cell phone so we can talk. You can also do a search under the freatures section here for "South Fork of the Snake - Idaho", I did a little review of my first trip along with some photos.

Grizzz

[This message has been edited by GrizzlyHackle (edited 01 April 2005).]

Hey there Fireman!
    As it happens, you've picked my favorit(est) spot on earth to fish. I am NOT a fan of guided fishing so I'll give you a few spots where you will catch fish.
    1) Snake River, upstream of the Wilson bridge. Park on the Wilson side of the bridge and start castin upstream.
    2) The Gros Ventre ( Grow Van) just past Kelly just north of Jackson.
    3) Cottonwood Creek just inside Grand Teton NP
    4) Flat Creek just north of town in the National Elk Refuge- A real skill test. KIds can fish this creek as it enters town just North of town.
    In any case, you will be in "flyfishing heaven". AS a bonus, just look up and around and your creel is instantly filled ----with memories.
    Of course, if you're of that persuasion, the guide services mentioned thusfar are the best. Mediocrity does NOT survive in Jackson Hole.
    Eat at the Snake River Grill $$$, at the Bunnery $( breakfast), Jedadiahs (sp)(breakfast)$, Rondesvous Bistro $$, Billys ( hamburgers)$ and Noras Fish Creek ( we hear that President Clinton ate here but we go there anyway).
    Enjoy your stay, it is truly " Like no place on earth".
    Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

I lived about 50 miles SW of Jackson for 3 years and wish I was still there. If you're up for a little drive, about that 50 miles, I suggest heading thru Snake River Canyon to Alpine Junction, turn left, go about 1/2 mile and make another left up and head up the Grays River. Go to where it junctions with the Little Grays and make a right. There are several places to pull off the road to fish. I've had best luck above McCoy Creek. The scenery is as good as Jackson, at least I think so, and the crowds will be less. You're going to be there at the height of tourist season, which is abominable in my opinion.

The Flat is good and it's kids only thru Jackson. I believe the season on the Flat on the Elk Refuge opens August 1st. The Snake below Jackson Lake dam is also good. South of Jackson and not as far as the Grays is the Hoback and I've had success there also. Lots of places to pull off the highway and fish the Hoback also. Never fished the Gros Ventres'. Oh....for what it's worth, that's pronounced Gro Vont. If you go down to Star Valley, (Alpine), the Salt can be pretty good but it will be full of Idaho and Utah fisherman. I'm convinced approximately 1/3 of the population of Utah summers in Star Valley.

The South Fork is another 18 miles west of Alpine and essentially begins at the base of Palisades dam. Henrys Fork is some north of there.

You could go up to the Park and fish Lewis Fork and/or the Firehole. I've had some success there.

As was mentioned, there is West Bank Anglers over in Wilson and the Orvis shop on the main highway in Jackson. I thought Jack Dennis owned West Bank. The Gunbarrel and Snow King ski lodge also are excellent resturants. Snow Kings Christmas buffet' is beyond description.

If this is your first trip, wherever you go will be a delight. Summers are to die for in that part of the country, but, as I said, tourist traffic will be heavy. We always said we had two seasons, winter and tourist.

Vic

------------------
    There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Hey there Fireman'
    What he said too ( Sharps). For what it's worth, it's the Gr(e)ys River just south of Alpine Junction. I agree with Sharps that this scenic river tends to be a bit less touristy the farther South you go.
    Ah, yes, Jackson Lake Dam. Check out the parking lot barriers on the high side bank. Note that the last two barrier logs are distorted. That's the spot where my Jeep ALMOST went over the cliff with my butt in it. Wet wader foot slipped off the brake and onto the gas and oooooppppss. I'll e-mail photo.
    In any case, as the posts suggest, you'll not be at a loss for places to fish, ENJOY.
    Feel free to e-mail me anytime regarding this area.

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!
    PS: Note the license plate# in the photo , says it all.

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 02 April 2005).]

Well, All that info is great and a lot of it I didn't know. Know add the Hoback river on the list, and a trip up granite canyon and the hot springs pool built by the ccc after WW2. The kids will love the pool, Heck the adults too! Jack Dennis Sporting goods is a good source in Jackson and High Country Flies are two more sources. Also check out Jackson Hole Chamber of Commerce on line for a bunch of stuff to do for the kids. If this is your first time to Wyoming, You will be busy, Welcome to my home state.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

Hey all.

I just wanted to clarify that this trip is for a buddy from work. I told him that I would post here just because of the great people and the responses so thanks to all. Please keep coming with anything that you could provide. We really appreciate it. I wish I was going with him.

Seege

+ Reply to Thread