+ Reply to Thread

Thread: whats up with these crazy salt fish?

Default whats up with these crazy salt fish?

Hey all, i just got down to New Jersey today. (im out from Vermont) and i went to throw a line in the ocean this afternoon! my first time...(there isnt a whole lot of salt in Vermont) So, i was playing the line a little bit, with a size 2 clouser, red and white, and absolutley nothing! is there something that i am doing that is driving the fish away from me?? i can see the fish when i go swimming! i know the're in there! but, they dont want my small fish! please! if anyone has any information it would be greatlry appreciated! thanks again!

Try incoming and outgoing tides around high tide. Sometimes night is the best time to fish, in which you use flies that push water under the surface, or poppers. Early morning can also be productive. Other times you can get the fish in anytime of the day. Experiment with different fly colors and sizes, and go to a local bait or fly shop to see whats working. Thats probably your best bet. Also, be patient. Fish don't just see your fly, they "hear/feel" it, so it can take them some time to find it.

Good luck,
    Chris

Great advise CJR I would stay away from the red and white clouser, as it is better as an early season color. Try clousers and deceivers in chartreuse/white, blue/white, or gray/white during the daytime, and black flies at night. check out a fly shop if you can, buy some of these flies or other items, and then ask them where to go. Many shops only give out information to customers, so make sure you buy a few flies first before you ask them for any specific information.

Size 2 might be too small. Try a 2/0. ALso vary your retireves. Often a slow retrieve will work in a surf as it is imitating a bait fish that is struggling in the waves.

A thought. Outgoing tides fish the outlets of rivers/estuaries etc. The bait fish will be flushed out with the flow. Incoming tides fish the bowls and structure of a shoreline as that is where the baitfish will collect in the calmer water.

Tides Avoid from slack tide until two hours after and after a high or low tide. Slack water generally yields less fish then moving water. Or at least concentrate on the time when the water is flowing.

jed

All good advice above. One last thing, during the last part of your retrieve, jiggle the rod tip (off to one side of you)and strip the fly in rapidly--this additional action will sometimes cause a reticent striper to strike.

PS
    Adam, you should say AAARRRGGHHH every time you finish pulling in your line as you are now a pirate. May sound a little funny doing it on the Winooski or the Lamoille, but nobody will ask 'cause those landlubbers are all afraid of pirates.

jed

[This message has been edited by Jed (edited 17 July 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread