+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question about steel leader material

Default question about steel leader material

Good Morning Everyone,
    In another thread, budwudla speaks of the importance of using the steel leader material when fishing saltwater. I have seen and understand how the leaders are used when fishing other methods but I need someone to explain how to use this when flyfishing saltwater. I guess my confusion rests with the fact that in freshwater we have line to leader to tippet. In saltwater, do we still go with the line to leader and forget the tippet? I would assume that saltwater species are not tippet/leader shy as are the freshwater species. What about the swivels etc and other(hardware) terminal tackle? Are those used at all? Thanks for the help in advance.

I have used Berkley Steelon Nylon Coated Wire--A haywire twist at both ends and heated to melt the nylon.

------------------

Bill

I use Tyger, which is a braided stainless wire with nylon coating, as tippet. It ties on just like other tippet.

------------------
    Joe

I think that steel tippet/leader is good when targeting toothy fishes like Bluefish. For fish like Stripers or Albies it will greatly effect (reduce) your catch rate. So there is a time and place, like everything.

jed

Gerri, Not sure if this helps, but I will prepare the flies (dozen or so) with 6"-8" of wire trace before I go fishing. Put a perfection loop at the end I want to connect to the leader then just loop to loop them when I need to use them. Means I can revert quickly to a mono tippet should I need to.

Like Joe, I am a big fan of Tyger.

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:dcd2f]http://www.ukbass.com[/url:dcd2f]

gerri
    Use the steel when the blues are in. BUT what you will probably find around here are blues crashing the bait on the sand and albi's crusing just out side.

The problem comes down to: lose all my flies to the blues trying to get to the albi or put on the steel and have reduced odds on the albi.

Blues will give you a great day fishing all by themself. Just have fun.

Larry

+ Reply to Thread