+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sarasota Tarpon

Default Sarasota Tarpon

This is my first post (I think! - I'm "registered, but don't recall when I did that) Anyway, I've been fishing the Sarasota area for years on vacations, but never for Tarpon. My main question is if a 10 wt is enough rod for most of the Tarpon in the area. I'm also going to be fishing for the other usual suspects, but I figured as long as I'm down there and they are around, I'd take a shot at A Tarpon.

Thanks,

Bob

If you are going to be fishing off the beaches from Manasota Key to Casey Key in southern Sarasota County; you would probably want at least an #11 if not a #12 because the migrating silver kings are mostly in the 100 to 175 pound size range. You may catch smaller ones that a #10 would work on, but it's those larger 'poons that will break a rod before you blink your eyes. I've managed to get both an #11 & a #12 rod, but only 1 reel; and in trying to get physically fit for the past 8 years, this might be the year for the rodeo !

I'll be fishing off of Siesta and North to Long Boat. I realize that a 10 is on the light side, and my skills with a fish of 75 + lbs. are suspect, but the biggest rod I've got is a 10 wt along with a Tibor Riptide, and I'd love to give it a go.

Choose the fish you cast to off the boat carefully! Most #10 weight rods will probably be good for fish up to 100 lbs, & it will take a longer time to land the fish. Maybe if you went to a 12 lb. bimini tippet you could break the fish off if you got into the larger silver kings, without worrys of losing the rod.

Good advice - thanks. I don't plan on casting to any monsters. Not looking to see if I can handle a 120 pounder on a 10 wt. Not good for the fish (or the rod). But I'd love to find a 60-80 pounder that would cooperate and that was the reason for my original question about the "typical" size of the fish near shore. My 10 is an RPLXi and it's got decent backbone, but anything 100 lbs. and over would be pushing it. Thanks again for the replies.

Bob

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 28 May 2005).]

I've been fishing the tarpon in the Gulf off Sarasota for 30 years and I wouldn't advise using a 10-weight. Most of your fish are large and the water is deep. You'll hook an occasional smaller (50- to 80-pound)tarpon, but the smaller rod is of little help in 20 to 35 feet of water or deeper. You want a strong rod with lifting power.

I'm a USCG licensed guide in Venice, and I'm taking a grateful day off from fishing tarpon in Venice/Sarasota and Charlotte Harbor.

Since you're going to be wading the beach, you are highly unlikely to have ANY tarpopn swimming close enough to reach with a cast. You WILL however, have ample opportunity to cast to spawning snook right in the surf "curl"--and that 10-weight will be PERFECT for that.

So, bring it on down and have some fun.

Just remember that the fish (snook)are within four feet of the beach, so don't make the mistake of pitching your fly perpendicular to the sand.

Use small grayish crab patterns, since the snook are mostly eating "sand fleas" that get churned up by the wave action. Fiber-body minnow patterns about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long in white, tan over white, olive/white, and chartreuse/white could also prove useful. I like 'em with eyes.

We've had continuous thunderstorms for the past week, which made tarpon fishing difficult for my clients. However, they did manage to hook--and boat--some tarpon.

You also can e-me and I'll be happy to tell you some "backcountry" wade fishing spots you can try. An 8wt would be best, but use the 10 if that's what you've got.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

+ Reply to Thread