+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kayaking quick question

Default Kayaking quick question

Im looking at Ocean Kayaks and I was wondering which is the best. I want a kayak that will bring me out on the ocean to the striper blitzes, and on the bass fishing ponds. Which one is the best choice?

I'd try looking into some Kayak shops in your area. There is a major retailer in the N.J. area that does a lot of mail order. Yak fishing should never be confused with other aspects of yaking. Most yakers taking trips use a sit inside yak while most fisher folks use sit on tops. Try [url=http://www.paddle-fishing.:00d51]www.paddle-fishing.[/url:00d51] there should be some good links there. There is also a very active Texas kayaking group that should be of some help. Our water here in Florida is somewhat warmer that yours.

Rusty <><

------------------
    if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

Try this link. [url=http://www.paddle-fishing.com/:00d51]http://www.paddle-fishing.com/[/url:00d51]

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 09 May 2005).]

I fish almost exclusively for stripers from a yak. I have a dagger, but i bought this boat because i got such a great deal. Otherwise, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference in the name brands. The longer the better--at least 12.5 feet (but I'd go longer) and you'll really appreciate if your yak has a rudder or a skeg when paddling against the tides. If you have a kayak rental place near you check it out--you can not only try a boat but they often sell last year's yaks at a good price. have fun!

I would recommend one of the OK Prowler models. The 15 is the best for the distance and tracking, but the 13 is the best for manuverability and deck layout. Both have good stability and are close to the same weight. I have the 15, but if I had to do it over again, I think I would rather have the 13.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I just purchased a sit in touring yak this spring and think that if you are going to be out in the ocean chasing bass you want a boat that paddles as easy as possibly to get out there and back. I also like the sit inside models because you can keep your gear dry inside. Being a new englander like yourself I know how cold those breakers can be in the spring and fall so being inside might make things more comfortable for you. My boat is an Old Town Adventure, great boat for a large paddler like myself.

This spring I have no had it in the salt yet but have had it in rivers and lakes that I have had to paddle a ways to get to fish and have had it in areas I don't like to take my canoe because of wind and waves.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

CJR, Check out [url=http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com:17689]www.kayakfishingstuff.com[/url:17689] website. Lots od good info on Yaks.

Norm

I have a WS Tarpon 140 and like it a lot. It's easy to paddle, tracks great and is roomy.

I tried several brands and models and went with the Ocean Kayak Drifter model because I felt most comfortable in it. choice is based on how each model and brand fit you. Try a variety and base your choice on how it fits you and the type of water you fish. Warning! Once you get comfortable with it your hooked. I'm selling my boat because I'd rather fish from a yak now.

+ Reply to Thread