+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beach snook

Default Beach snook

It's the time of year that we start seeing snook in the surf here in southwest Florida -- my favorite time of year.
    For those heading this way, it's a great opportunity to sightfish for a great species.
    I mainly fish Casey Key, just south of Sarasota. I use a D.T. Special fly.
    The action will really heat up when the water temperature hits 80.
    Hint: Look for the snook where the water laps the sand. Fifteen foot casts are all that's required.

This might be a dumb question but I was wondering if you cast parallel to the beach or straight out into the abyss.

Thanks

both, to cover more water, but they can be right up close!
    Bill

Too early this past weekend for beach snook on Manasota Key above Englewood and in the surf at Boca Grande. With morning temps in the upper 40's they probably all went to the backcountry!

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Hoping this little cool front leaves soon. I'm on the beach this weekend for 3 days.

I'm hoping to catch a Snook right behind the guys who've waded out past the second trough. HA!! Gotta love catchin' Snook and not even getting your feet wet.

Here's hoping the shoulder will let me make that "15 foot" cast.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Shmang wrote: "This might be a dumb question but I was wondering if you cast parallel to the beach or straight out into the abyss."

No dumb question at all. I've been doing this type of fishing for 20 years and have found a perpendicular cast to work the best. Since a majority of the fish are right where the water laps the sand, long casts aren't needed.
    First, figure out which direction the fish are moving. If they're coming toward you, move back on the beach and lay out a 15-foot cast. Try to time your retrieve so the the fly and fish meet at the same spot at the same time. That's when I like to speed the retrieve up to hopefully trigger a strike.
    If the fish is swimming away from you, move up on the beach and begin walking with a brisk pace to overtake the fish. Try to get at least 15-20 feet ahead and repeat the above procedure.

Parallel casts work sometime, but there's a problem: You have to be extremely accurate. If your cast is too long you could: 1. line the snook; 2. Or you will have the fly attacking the snook.

The season will really start to take off when the surf temp hits 75 and begins to climb.

[This message has been edited by Steve_G (edited 24 April 2005).]

Thanks to all for your informative replies.

I will be spending a week at Indian Rocks Beach FL and hope to tangle with a few saltwater critters.

The salt is new to me, and I am trying to gather as much info as possible. This helps.
    I have been busy at the bench tying up plenty of patterns so I think I have that part taken care of. Just have to get the flurocarbon leader part figured out next.

Thanks again

Any reports on those beach snook? I'm interested.

Water temp just hit 75, so the snook numbers should be increasing in the surf. Optimum temp is 80 to 85 degrees.

I'll try to keep everyone posted!

+ Reply to Thread