+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do i need a specialty line for the keys

Default do i need a specialty line for the keys

i am heading to the keys in mid april. i am wondering if i need to buy one of those tropic lines, or can i use the 444sl sink tip line that i have right now. i have heard that certain lines will melt in the warm weather.

April is not that hot, you should be ok.
    Bill

is there a good line to get for down there that i can also use at home in massachusetts for stripers.

Regular lines wouldn?t melt but they do get limp in hot weather and are more prone to tangling, especially when fishing from a boat. If you?re wading on a flat, usually your dragging your line behind so tangling is less of an issue.

For general flats fishing, I would question using a sink tip as opposed to a floating line. A floating line gives you faster multiple shots if your sight fishing.

They do make saltwater lines that are ?advertised? as being good in all climates, but I haven?t use any of them so can?t recommend one. Perhaps you could buy one of them in a floater and also bring the sink tip you already own. A back up line is always good.

Phatty:

If you pick up a bonefish or tarpon line (the weight will dictate weather or not the line company puts it in a box with a bonefish or a tarpon on it) you will have no issues using it up here in the summer months when the water and the air are fairly warm. As I recall you are a niner so it will be a bonefish line. The SA lines are nice.
    [url=http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scianglers/pdf/ms_bulletin/Bulletin120A.pdf:5910a]http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scianglers/pdf/ms_bulletin/Bulletin120A.pdf[/url:5910a]

I used one while albie fishing off of Cape Pogue last fall and found it to be an excellent line for the task. Althought there was a chill in the air the water was warm enough to keep the line supple. It never stiffened up and it was a pleasure to cast.

Go for it.

How about "hey babe, wanna come over some time".

jed

Very good Jed.

+ Reply to Thread