+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from Turneffe Islands

Default Back from Turneffe Islands

Well, just got in from Turneffe Island Lodge, Belize. What a great place.

There a plenty of bone fish but the fish are a little nervous, looks like they get fished alot. Long casts are very helpful and will inable you to get a few casts at the fish.

THE fly for the week was a crazy charlie without wings, small bead chain eyes,tan ox tail body, and holographic body wrap in pearl. It was the only fly that caught fish for me and I tried alot of patterns. Other people were getting skunked so I tied up a half a dozen more in the shop and handed them out. It worked for them as well.

The permit there go from 10-15 pounds on the flats to monsters in deeper water close to the reef. I caught one that the guide estimated at 22 to 24 pounds. The thing must have taken 200 yards of backing out of the 10 weight before I could start to get line back.

The fly was a local creation called "the pizza". It look like a wedge of pizza and was a redish color. Its made of epoxy with tan buck tail and glitter. It must have weighed close to 1 oz.

Oh, the weather was 83 degrees every day, water temp was 78-80, winds 10-15, mostly sunny. Its a hard life but someone had to do it. Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhh.

If you go down there, I would ask for Joe the guide. He was excellent and put me on fish that other guide drove right by.

Larry

Larry--a 20+ pound permit??? Way to go, dude!!!!!! Sounds like you did the brotherhood proud!

aaarrrggghhh!!!

Hi Dave
    I had to work for 4 hours to get one of things to hit. It was worth it. The guide took a picture of me doing the classic hold and smile, I hope it turns out ok. My grin was ear to ear. Sure did make my week!!
    Aaaarrrrggghhhh

Larry

Hope you post that photo when you get it. Bet he needed a wide angle lens to capture the grin. Would you say it was the best fighting fish you ever caught on a fly?

Dave,

The fish nearly took the rod out of my hands on the first run.

I had just watched another angler fight a fish for more than 20 min. and lose it at the boat.

It made one major long run and we had to chase it with the boat to get line back.

Yes, its probably the strongest, hardest running fish I've caught to date. I'm not going to fish for tuna or marlin on a fly. Those days are over for me.

The fight took about 10 mins and I was glad when it was over. The guide loaded the drag up to about 8 lbs in the middle of the fight. He said he had never seen a fish that size landed so quickly Sure did make me feel good. I hope to be able to post the pic when it gets in.

Larry

well, congratulations Larry. Sounds like you did a great job and had a great trip.

Glad to hear you had a great time. I myself am heading down there for a class. I will definately be bringing my rod with me! I don't have the cash for a guide so I am hoping to find some fish on my own. The advice on the fly is AWESOME. I was thinking to myself what should I tie up. Now I have a darn good idea. Thanks for the great report!

Ok, Here's the picture.

Should have extended my arms toward the camera.

[This message has been edited by budwudla (edited 24 February 2005).]

Wow! great great fish! must have been a thrill!

Thank you for the kind words. Here's a better picture of the fish with the guide holding it. (I take it as a good sign when the guide wants his picture taken with your fish). Notice the pizza fly still in its mouth.

[This message has been edited by budwudla (edited 25 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread