+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant Tail Nymph

Default Pheasant Tail Nymph

I just started tying and really enjoy it. I have been tying Pheasant tail nymphs and catching a trout or two on them so I feel the goal has been met.

I have a question in regards to finishing a pheasant tail nymph. When using beads I seem to get a bunch of thread showing between the peacock herl and bead. I see some of the PT nymphs you guys tie and don't see any hardly any thread between the herl and bead. It looks like you are hiding it behind the bead somehow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I'm just applying too many wraps of thread....Maybe it doesn't matter either...

Thanks,
    Ron

Hi,
    A couple of tips that may help:
    - Use 6/0 thread. I started using 3/0 but that caused a large buildup like you describe

- After putting the bead on the hook, put a couple wraps of lead (or lead substitute) behind the bead - and push in into the bead. This locks the bead in place plus gives a base for the finishing threadwraps right behind the bead.

Good luck!

Not a new idea by any means, but the bead is usually pushed back over the materials after the fly is finished off. I usually leave a very small bit of space so the bead slides back away from the hook eye, but I always use a little cement/nail polish behind the bead before I slide it back so it stays put.

oops I forgot to tell you, you should be using beads that are drilled slightly larger on one side so it'll slip over the materials.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 16 July 2006).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

There are a couple of articles from "Tying Tips" that may be of help for you, with beaded-head fly patterns.

One deals with ...

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part126.html:9c93c]Centering Beaded Heads[/url:9c93c]

on the hook shank, so they are align with the hook shank.

The other article,deals with a...

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part174.html:9c93c]"Whip Finish Tool"[/url:9c93c]

that you can make. It allows you to used dubbed thread for a finish wrap behind the beaded head. I got the idea from Dave Whitlock, when he was demonstrating, tying his "Red Fox Squirrel Nymph" pattern.

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 16 July 2006).]

If I get to the end and too much thread is showing I will just give it a couple of more turns of peacock and then finish it off.

------------------
    Born to fish forced to work.
    Alan

I use 8/0 or 12/0 thread for 90 percent of my trout fly tying. I tie a ton of Pheasant tail nymph's each year. You are tying the American PT or Al Troth's style of PT. The orginal does not have any peacock herl on it at all.

If you are tying with hearl I suggest that you use 12/0 thread in an olive or green color. Take a couple of wraps of herl behind the bead and then tie it off by doing a whip finish and letting the thread slide of the the bead into place as you do. This will keep the tread small and you will not see it at all. And don't use to much thread. Most newer tiers use way to much thread. Also cement it well.

One of the things I hate is to see a beadhead tied with a ball of thread behind the bead. Looks bad. "MY Opinion"

You can also use a green dubbing in place of the herl and get the same effect.

Just finished 30 dozen #16 #18 and #20 Sawyer style PT nymph's for the local spring creek. LOL Ron

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Need to tie some PT this evening and see what happens.

RonMT - Have to agree. I personally don't like to see thread between the herl and bead.

Think I figured it out. I looked at some store bought PT nymphs in the same size that I'm tying and noticed that the bead is a bit larger than the one I am using on the size 14 hook. Maybe there is not enough room for the thread to be hidden by the bead.

I'm using the Cyclops bead 3/32 diameter on a size 14 (9671) mustad hook. The bead package says it made for a 14-18 size hook. Maybe moving up in bead diameter 7/64 would be better????

Ron

FrankB -

I am getting better at using less wraps but have to agree I went crazy with wraps at first

Ron

Another way to hide the threads is to put a wee bit of mole (or other very fine dubbing) on your thread after whip finishing (and before you snip off your thread).

Just make a couple half hitches with the dubbed part of your thread and it'll hide it all. Here's a picture of one I did a year or so ago when I was having the same problem (there's a thread here somewhere with the original suggestion from somebody else to try this)...

+ Reply to Thread