+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon fly

JC,

Shades of "Whirl Away McSneek"

Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

I tie a dragonfly for bass that fishes great and doesn't cause tippet problems. I tie it on a 2XL dry fly hook, 2mm foam extended body and thorax, then HIVIS wings. after it's tied I superglue 7mm doll eyes to each side of the head and it's good to go!

Right Bill, but we 'date' ourselves when we know stories like that...

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Hello Leo,
    May I suggest my Hard-Hackle Dragonfly here on FAOL: [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/110203fotw.html:56ae2]http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/110203fotw.html[/url:56ae2]

I use furled leaders and have not experienced any twisting problems with this fly.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

Another winner, Richard!

I tied a few up in size 10, and caught a bluegill with almost every other cast. Nailed a few smaller LG bass as well.

I'll have to add this to my 'Don't leave home without' list (almost all of them are your designs).

Semper Fi!

Hello Gigmaster,

That is good news!

The size 10 Hard Hackle Dragonfly is perfect for 'gills and even largemouths looking for a quick snack.

But I have caught bluegills on Hard Hackle Dragonflies, size 2 hooks, 3 inch wingspans and 3 inch bodies! Go figure, eh?

So, Leo, which dragonfly color worked for you?

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

[This message has been edited by Richard Komar (edited 17 July 2006).]

Richard,

I did tie some up, wrong type hook, Tried it and it sank like a rock. Needless to say I need to get some fine wire hooks and try again. It did look awsome though. All I need to do is get it to float.

In all fairness though I caught a few Bluegills this past weekend (not with the dragon fly) and with the hours I've been putting in at work I've only been able to fish a few hours on the weekend. I did have a nice Bass on for a few seconds though.

I know it will work when I get it to float properly. My plan is to get to the pond again on Wed. or Thurs. and give it another try.

Leo C.

[This message has been edited by Leo C (edited 17 July 2006).]

I just thought I'd add an idea on here for a pattern. I submitted the Damsel in Distress last year as a FOTW.

I have been able to modify the fly to reduce/eliminate twisting by leaving off the wing and just using a bit longer hackle. I imagine the bead eyes could be replaced with peacock herl if one wanted to trim it even more.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/101705fotw.html:98d82]Tying the fly[/url:98d82]

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

+ Reply to Thread