+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stayner Ducktail Question

Default Stayner Ducktail Question

Can someone give me some advice on this fly?

And for other similar winged flies really...

I'm having trouble tying in the wing.

It tends to get crimped at the head end and curve out at the tail end.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure which way the tail end is curving for you. The key for the flatwing is to make sure your mounting point is flat to the body. If there is a bump just after the tye in point it will force the wing up. As for the crimping.. holding the feather tightly at the tie in and a loose wrap tightened from the near side will keep the feather from crimping. And, make sure you don't wrap back only forward from your first wrap. Marv Taylor tied this one nicely!

Thanks Halomidge.

Yes Marv's fly looks great!

Thanks for the advice. Do you have a suggestion as to how wide the wing should be cut?
    On reflection I think what's happening is I'm picking up some of the natural curvature of the feather and that is why my wing is curving. Also your tip on tying in will help alot too!

------------------
    Thanks,

Terry

Terry,
    Here are my clear as mud directions for tying flatwings.

Try to select a mallard feather with the stem centered in the feather. Strip off the fluff at the feather base - stroke about 1/2 of the lower fibers back down along the stem - moisten the remaining fibers at the tip end and stroke them toward the tip end to give you an idea of what the feather will look like size wise - check it against the hook size for length. Adjust the amount of fibers to be used in the finished/sized wing and remove any unnecessary ones at the lower end of the feather. When you tie in the feather you want to tie it in with two firm (but not real tight thread wraps over the feather stem just in front of where the feather fibers start - then gently pull the feather forward slightly - just until the feather fibers slide under the thread wraps - recheck your feather length/width for the desired shape. Make any final adjustments before completing the head.

------------------
    Dennis ~BadBug~

[This message has been edited by BadBug (edited 07 July 2006).]

This was the first fly I tied. Everyone here is right loose wraps to start and wind forward. As far as the curvature of the wing if you ever see it in the water you would not worry LOL. I use the whole wing or I should say the malard flank feather. This fly imitates a minow that is injured. Fish don't seem to inspect it they just slam it when fished with sparatic jerks

+ Reply to Thread