+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gummy Minnows

Default Gummy Minnows

Does any body have any experience tying "Gummy Minnows"? Do you know where I can go to get good detailed (step by step) instructions? What about a recommendation for color? I am considering trying some for warm water panfishing, but am not very familiar with the stuff or how to use it. Any help is great, Thanks Jim

------------------

I bought a couple of these and haven't bothered actually "tying" some yet - as far as color I've got them in i think whats called oil slick and mother of pearl.
    try this on for instructions. [url=http://www.mcffonline.org/flyPatterns/Gummy%20Minnow.pdf:ffc3b]www.mcffonline.org/flyPatterns/Gummy%20Minnow.pdf[/url:ffc3b]
    I wish i could give yo ua better lead than that, but they do seem neat and I'd love to get a fish on one!
    -Erik

[This message has been edited by Broadwing (edited 02 June 2006).]

dogbert,

You can obtain instructions and material form Brad Buzzi at [url=http://www.buzfly.com:352bb]www.buzfly.com[/url:352bb]
    buz@buzfly.com
    (732) 549-3937

Tell Brad hello for me. He is a nice guy.

BTW, I recently took an 8+ lb rainbow one one of my gummy minnows so I know they do work.

Regards,
    Jim Cramer

[This message has been edited by Jim Cramer (edited 02 June 2006).]

Jim,

go to [url=http://www.blueridgeflyfishers.com:be19d]www.blueridgeflyfishers.com[/url:be19d]

this is the fly shop website for Blane Chocklett, inventor of the "Gummy Minnow"

I'm sure he'll help you out. He's located in Roanoke, VA

dogbert:
    My $0.02 is stick with MOP and Holographic silver. The MOP takes permanent markers real well, so you're not limited by the colors of the sili skin. I've found that the Holographic silver will take color but it looks better if you use a light coat of clear flexible epoxy or varnish(craft stores)
    Brad's material is a bit different than the sili skin. It's clear and you add your own color pattern with the transfer foil he sells, though you may be able to pick that up at a craft store or online(Jones Tones).
    Also, I like Brad's patterns better than the original gummie minnows. I've gone my own way and tie them on 4 or 6XL hooks without the extended body.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I have tied many Gummy Minnows. I used to use them for crappie, tied in smaller sizes. I quit tying them because 1. The material is very expensive, almost prohibitively so. 2. The material is very difficult to work with, and my finished flies were lifeless looking both in and out of the water. They looked and moved like an unweighted plastic jig body.

I now tie my minnow immitations in small sizes using Sea-Fibre and Polar-Fibre with the Hi-Tie, or "Puglisi" technique, and color them with Prismacolor Markers to exactly match my minnow of choice. They move like a real minnow, and look so good in the water that I want to bite them myself! The materials are much, much cheaper and easier to work with, in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Suggest you check in with Blane on his site or he would be happy to email answers to any questions you may have.
    Checked the other site mentioned:
    I always find it amusing how many un-inventive tyers there are who are quick to jump on someone else's pattern and/ or material either adding their own name to a fly or material, or buy wholesale the exact same material and just rename it..
    Nothing wrong with copying anyones fly or trying to find a cheaper source for the material when you are just tying some flies for yourself and or friends.
    I think though that when someone then 'sells' these items and flies and writes them up on their "site," --- kind of a 'creative credit through omission,' creating the impression they are the genious behind the fly or material, as Mr. Buzzt does don't you think that is just a tiny bit of his unimaginative ego showing through.
    The internet sure has created a lot of instant experts.

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 14 June 2006).]

Mantis:
    I know Brad and I'd take issue with your description of him. Even if it is the same commercially available product, and I'm not sure it is, it is marketed and sold differently. Nothing unusual about that in the American Market Place, just can't use the trademarked name.
    I hate to tell you but the Gummy Minnow and the Gooey Fly are two different patterns. I'd be willing to bet that the Gummy Minnow is based on some type of soft plastic, like a Fin-S or Slug-o. I'd make the same bet that Brad took the concept of Surf Candy or Rubber Candy a step further by using the clear material that he sells in place of epoxy or silicone.
    They both took two materials stepped outside the box and marketed them differently.
    Anybody out there use "loco foam". Think it's too expensive? Want to make your own?
    Two materials, adhesive backed foam and transfer foil, both available at your local craft store or on-line. I've been making my own since about 3 months after I first saw it 4 or 5 years ago.
    Anybody have an idea what the base material for sili skin/gooey body is. It's clear, flexible, stretchable, has adhesive on both sides, comes in sheets, and is available commercially.

Philly, as you said, and I quote you..
    " Nothing unusual about that in the American Market Place, "
    Nope, nothing at all unusual about glomming onto someone elses idea...
    A good for instance are the "Crease" flies on his site...gee, didn't even bother to change the name... I'm sure, he's a nice guy just trying to make a buck the good old American way! LOL.

+ Reply to Thread