+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FavoriteTrout wooly bugger colors

Default FavoriteTrout wooly bugger colors

Hi,
    What's everyone's favorite trout wooly buggers colors besides all black. Please include tail, body and hackle color. Hook size would be nice also.

Thanks

My favorite top three are all size 10 olive buggers, one with brown hackle, one with grizzly hackle, and one with medium dun.

Jim

Tail and body of Wild Turkey body feather fluff, Hackle Black Irridesant Hen, Tied sparse and small...(Mini Bugger)
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Hands down, olive. If I had to choose one size for trout I would pick 10 3xl.

The "original" ain't bad either: black tail, olive body, black hackle.

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

Jungle Jive Disco yarn, from Wal-Mart....tied as a Disco Bugger.

Peter F,
    Is that all olive? the reson I am asking this is because I want to try the whiting bugger packs which tie 75 each. I wanted to buy 2 colors either black and olive or black and grizzly. The strung saddle hackle I have isn't the best for buggers. I think they are $8.00 each. Nothing is cheap when you are tieing flies, and I don't think I'm saving money. It's a hobby.

JKilroy,

I try not to have a 'favorite' on any fly or presentation, preferring to let the fish tell me which they want on any particular day.

That being said, I doubt you could go wrong with olive, black, and brown chenille for the bodies, same color for the hackles and tails, then mix them up as desired.

If you are into doing them 'all' that would give you 27 different 'buggers with those three variables.

Then you could add some flash to the sides and tail on another batch, maybe some pearl, red, and gold.

That will give you 81 different patterns with those variables.

Now add in a couple/three hook sizes, and you have 'whole bunch' by any definition.

Oh, and don't forget that there are at least several ways to 'porportion' a wooly bugger. Body length, tail length, and hackle size are all 'changeable' on these flies to get diferrent effects.

The thing is, you really don't want to have to carry all those diferent flies. The fish certainly don't require it, but we all have the ones we like, and it's hard to tell a fly fisherman that his short olive body, red flash, long brown tail with oversized olive hackle 'bugger wasn't the 'only' fly that he could have caught all those trout on....HE beleives it....

Have fun!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

My all time favorite is a size 6 long shank hook with a black tail with some red krystal flash, peacock herl body or peacock ice dub, black hackle ribbed with red ultra wire for durability finished off with a nickel conehead. I also agree with Buddys post.

[This message has been edited by MidgeMadness (edited 18 May 2006).]

jkilroy,

Dark olive marabou tail or olive ostrich tail with green flash

Dark olive chenille body

Brown hackle

8 wraps of .025 lead on hook shank under body

Hook - Mustad 9672 size 12 streamer hook

Thread - 8/0 olive

I also tie this in a reverse tie meaning tail tied in at hook bend, thread to front, tie in chenille and hackle, run bobbin to rear, wrap chenille to rear and tie off, palmer hackle to rear and tie off and then use bobbin and counter wrap thread to front and build head and whip finish/cement

That's just my way

------------------
    Warren

[This message has been edited by WarrenP (edited 18 May 2006).]
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My "go to" bugger would be an Olive marabou tail with Krystal Flash, Peacock body, and Brown Hackle. Almost forgot. Size 10, Mustad 79580 hooks.

[This message has been edited by DUB (edited 18 May 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread