+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Look-a-Like Vise Question

Default Look-a-Like Vise Question

I was asked something the other day, and had no idea how to answer.

Someone asked if there was a downside in buying a rotary look-a-like vise? Is it the same? Are you missing anything by not having the name embossed?

I never tried a look-a-like so I couldn't answer. The prices were far apart from name brand to make me curious.

Does anyone have a budget vise that they're pleased with?

DianeID,

While there are several low cost vises of very decent quality, there are also several very suspect. Low grade materials, sub-standard tolerances, and more often than not design flaws.

Without more detail (brands/model or price range) it is hard to comment specifically, but by and large it pays to invest in an established brand which has had vises on the market for some time.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

DianeID,

When I first started tying about 5 years ago I bought an "economy" regal vise for about $34 bucks. I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Last Fall I bought a Danvise and use it quite a bit, and for the price, it's hard to beat. Good luck.

Quality control is very spotty in the lookalike vises. One tying club I'm familiar with bought several "Grizzly" vises a few years back. They are brass-bodied clones of the Regal. Of the 18 that they bought, 4 or 5 of them are still in operation. Some pinched small hooks in two, some had soft jaws that deformed quickly. 4 or 5 had it right, and are still in use, so it's a gamble.

Diane, when I got back into tying about ten years ago I couldn't find my old Herter's, and someone gave me a cheapo something or other than wouldn't hold a hook. Very frustrating. I was helping some scouts and four-her's get started and bought a bunch of the Cabelas traveling boxes, which for the price was incredible. Held hooks and included many tools. Obviously these weren't intended as everyday vises but I used them for years before buying a Danvise. I love it. Bottomline for me is whether they'll hold a hook. I don't need to spend $300 for that. Rotary is fine but not absolutely necessary. JGW

Thanks, everyone, for your opinion. I passed them on and he still seems ify about buying something that may or may not work. When I asked for more info (I compared it to someone asking "What camera should I buy?"), he finally broke down and said "Ummm, something on eBay." I told him not to be embarassed. There are great, good, average, and bad deals there.

This is what he sent me. [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BRAND-NAME-LOOK-A-LIKE-FLY-TYING-FISHING-FLIES-VISE_W0QQitemZ7239041114QQcategoryZ44913QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem:90a6a]http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BRAND-NAME-LOOK-A-LIKE-FLY-TYING-FISHING-FLIES-VISE_W0QQitemZ7239041114QQcategoryZ44913QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem[/url:90a6a]

Diane,

For the price listed on the Ebay auction your friend could buy the no name vise from Hook and Hackle. I have heard it reviewed favorably on this and other boards and also you have Hookhack standing behind the vise. Their customer service and willingness to "make it right" are legendary (even if they are under new ownership). That would be the direction I would send them if it were me. Besides the one on Hookhack just looks like a lot better vise than the one on Ebay. Too many words in that description that make me wary. Just my opinion.

DianeID:
    Regarding the vise to which you posted the link - I would not buy it. There is no handle to aid rotation. The jaw assembly appears quite heavy and so without the aid of a handle the rotation may be awkward or the tension have to be set relatively high to avoid the problem of the jaws falling to the bottom of the rotation.
    It is not clear how the tension on rotation is adjusted. There is a machine screw tightened by an allen wrench that adjusts the angle of the off-set and thus the height of the jaws: can it be tightened sufficiently or does it come loose? The jaws are held in a bracket that is screwed onto the angled bar, which is locked with a brass nut. Will it remain stable or will it start to wiggle. For almost the same price you can get a Danvise ? I have had mine for at least 5 years and 1,000 flies. Buying the vise you linked would be penny wise and pound foolish IMHO.

DianeID;
    I purchased that same vise on Ebay a couple of year's ago. The rotary actions is very dificult to use. However, the jaw's are very hard and hold hook's well. The bobbin cradle is not adjustable leaving a lot of thread to spool up every time you use it. It served me well for at least 2 years and was donated to a highschool class when I purchased the H&H vise mentioned above.
    I got both the clamp and base with the H&H and like it a lot. It holds hooks down to size 22. Still learning to use the rotary action though.
    As an aside. I did buy a cheap ($10.00), soft jawed thompson style vise and using a chain saw file and flat file shaped the jaws to be a midge vise for 24's down.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The rotary vise from Hook&Hackle has received
    some kind words on this forum, and is supposed to be true rotary. For around $35,
    it might be worth a try.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought this one about a year ago as my fisrt good vise>> love it. It does all that I need with very few short falls. Most excellent for the $$$$$.

E_Z vise [url=http://www.hookhack.com/images/ZEPHYRGRAY.JPG:66863]http://www.hookhack.com/images/ZEPHYRGRAY.JPG[/url:66863]

+ Reply to Thread