+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Punch yarn

Blog Entries

Default Punch yarn

Question with regard to tying with the stuff....How well does it hold up in water? Does it hold water causing the fly to be dragged under stemming from the punch yarn becoming water logged "so to speak"?....Is it better suited for nymphs and emergers instead of dries?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

Well, It works on about the same principal as would the use of beaver in dries and nymphs...but in a synthetic form..rather than a natural fiber..It holds together well in any use I've tried it in..I'm sure you'll find the stuff indispensable as I have...

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 21 April 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Blog Entries

Thanks Bill...I've already got samples that I'm playing with....I was just wondering if it makes a difference as far as use for dries over wets? What is the experience of people who have actually used and fished the stuff.

Thanks again.
    C

cholcomb13;
    The Acrylic yarn will resist water better than the cotton.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Blog Entries

Thanks Jack.....Is it similar to the antron and zlon yarn? I believe those are arcylic....

I have yards and yards of wool punch yarn. This will work better (I presume) for wets and nymphs than the synthetic because it will absorb water so readily. I haven't tried the wool variety for dries, but with a bit of flotant, why not?

One disadvantage of a yarn body, is that it is more difficult to shape than dubbing. I fequently use the wool yarn as an underbody and dubb over it, especially for larger flies.

Peter F.

------------------
    Peter F [url=http://www.fishingwithflies.com:5f660]www.fishingwithflies.com[/url:5f660]
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Peter F (edited 23 April 2006).]

The punch builds underbodies very quickly. It doesn't comb out spikey like hare's mask though.

I have used it to create (just to see if it can be done) the body of a woolly bugger. It took three layers of punch to build up enough bulk to look right...

On the other hand, for small simple flies, it's pretty handy.

Makes a decent Stimulator as well though wrapping the head portion requires a smooth thread base.

Darth - thanks for field testing the Stim. I'm hoping to try some of the other variations this coming week after work.

I can't remember if I sent you one of the "hot-butt" versions (orange punch yard for "egg sack" at the back instead of elk hair tail or a more traditional one.

I also have some tied with peacock herl for the thorax and some with punch yarn in a different color than the punch abdomen (usually orange and yellow though sometimes I swap which color is in the rear...orange abdomen make it look a bit like an October Caddis on the water allegedly).

They're a little tricky to tie the first few times but I think I've just about got it nailed down for the punch yarn fly swap.

+ Reply to Thread